Alclad and Future

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi there

I was putting together a Mustang kit in olive drab and decided I could use the chance to try out some Alclad, both for practice and to add some a more realistic look.

Since the plane itself is going to be grey and drab I figured I would test the Alclad out on the gear and undercarriage. I bought a bottle, read online, and have a good idea what I am doing. However, one quick question.

I paint with acrylics exclusively. Alclad is a laquer. Normally I seal with Future. Can I spray future on Alclad? I understand it doesn't need sealing but smaller parts painted with Alclad will be next to acrylic painted parts. It would be easier in the long run and save me some time if I could spray everything at the end with Future instead of individual pieces at a time. Just not sure how Future would react with Alclad.

Thanks!

I haven't used Alclad, but it's my understanding it should be left 'as is'. It's possible that the Future might cause a slight reaction, which will make the metallic particles appear larger. I'd suggest trying it out on some scrap, although using Alclad for small parts seems a bit overkill, as it's really intended for reproducing bare metal skin surfaces. The landing gear on the P51 was finished in a coating made up with aluminium powders, so is a sort of silver-grey finish, whilst the gear doors etc were clear-laquered over bare alloy.

Airframes, agreed, your best bet is to try it out. I do not see a lacquer finish being attacked by future which is an acrylic. on the other hand lacquer over acrylic would cause a problem. Personally I have found it best not to mix paint types

Appreciate the advice. Feel like an idiot for not considering the 'I dunno, test it on scrap to see what happens method.'

I realize it is a bit overkill for gear bays and landing gear but I just am not pleased with the Tamiya and Model Masters aluminum or silver. It looks like metallic colored paint with chips of a completely different color mixed in. I have gotten it to look decent but even then it looked, to me, like it had glitter in it.

ETA: Oh, airfraimes: I saw your post in another thread concerning the gear bay of Mustangs. For a B or C model it should be bare metal (aluminum) with the rear wing spar in chrome yellow? Not zinc chromate green? I find that interesting. You also mentioned a laquered metal finish? Depending on what I use would a simple gloss coat reproduce this? Sorry to get so off topic but I really enjoy picking everybody's brain.

Last edited:
Yep. Mix a little Tamiya Flat base with Future, to give it a semi-gloss look for the insides of the gear doors. The bays can be plain 'silver'. The rear wall (the main spar) was zinc chromate, more towards the 'yellow' tinge than green, but of course there was a vast range of shades of ZC (see discussions elsewhere!).
For the gear legs (apart from the oleo) mix a small touch of matt white with silver, and for the wheels, a touch of mid grey with silver.
When I mentioned the reaction of Future with Alclad, I didn't mean a chemical reaction - it'll probably be fine - but a gloss clear coat over a metallic finish can alter the appearance, by 'magnifying' the metallic particles, which can give an out-of-scale 'grainy' look to the finish.

You're more than welcome, and it's probably easier to use my real name, which varies between "Hey, you!", "Numpty" and Terry !
BTW, if you're doing a bare metal finish on the P51, don't forget that the main wing was puttied, polished, and then painted in silver dope - not bare metal.

Basically, it means clown, or idiot - in a light-hearted fashion! It's an expression you'd use if, say, a friend hit his thumb with a hammer, or did some other 'stupid' thing accidentally.

FWIW I've often applied Klear (Future) over many shades of Alclad and find it makes a barely discernable difference to all but the polished aluminium or chrome finishes. These it does dull or darken in a visible way.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back