"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You say losing all the Pacific Fleet carriers at Pearl Harbor would not have made any real difference.

Now think Midway and Coral Sea and how important those carriers were in those battles.

Back to the real subject though

Without the US carriers, Japan would have won at Coral Sea (if there was even a battle?) and taken Port Moresby, The US would have lost any naval battle at Midway (though I do not know if Japan would have taken Midway?). And there would have been virtually no offensive action by any US naval units other than submarines for about 2(?) years. This would not have won the war for Japan in the long run, but would have allowed them to solidify and expand their defensive positions in the PTO, making it much harder for the US to engage in subsequent offensive actions. What the ramifications would have been is too far down the rabbit hole for me, though obviously the US could have won eventually.

As i recall Patton wanted just the keep driving East. Just change enemy
Cant blame him if he looked at these boys and i mean boys. it looks like there were no more conscripts to be called left even woman

You can still get 2 carriers at Coral Sea - Yorktown and Hornet. It just means the Doolittle Raid falls off the table...which, although a great morale boost, had zero impact on the war's outcome.

If your goal is to kill and terrorize Ukraine's citizens attacking a crowded church makes perfect sense. Think of all the mosques and temples that get bombed by one side fighting another in Africa and Asia. You fish where the fish are.

This was on AP this morning:

ODESA, Ukraine (AP) — Tetiana Khlapova's hand trembled as she recorded the wreckage of Odesa's devastated Transfiguration Cathedral on her cellphone and cursed Russia, her native land.

Khlapova was raised in Ukraine and had always dreamed of living in the seaside city. But not as the war refugee that she has become.

In only a week, Russia has fired dozens of missiles and drones at the Odesa region. None struck quite as deeply as the one that destroyed the cathedral, which stands at the heart of the city's romantic, notorious past and its deep roots in both Ukrainian and Russian culture.

[...]

Last week's attacks marked the first time Odesa's historic city center was hit since the war started.

Mayor Hennadii Trukhanov was unequivocal in a furious video message directed to Russians after Sunday's strike on the cathedral, showing rescue workers carefully removing a damaged icon from the ruins.

"If you only knew how much Odesa hates you. Not only hates you. Despises you. You're fighting small children, the Orthodox church. Your rockets even fall on cemeteries," he said. "You must hardly know us Odessans. You will not break us, just make us angrier."

Another missile crashed into the House of Scientists, a mansion that once belonged to the Tolstoy family and was transformed into an institution to unite scholars and researchers. A third hit administrative and apartment buildings.

The targets were within 200 meters (yards) of the port. Shelest believes the cathedral was hit by accident, but that's little consolation amid the destruction.

I would not blame Ukraine at all if they launched retaliatory strikes against Russian cities, but they are taking the high road in this war.

Yeah...saw that one and just shook my head. The President gets to decide which PMCs are or are not authorized, and when a PMC should be dissolved. The PMCs will be armed with military weapons but if a PMC is dissolved then the company must return all its weapons to the local Governor.

Is Putin TRYING to foment a civil war? Or does he just long for those far off days of feudalistic fiefdoms? Either way, this is a total recipe for disaster. I'm filing it in the folder entitled "What on earth were you thinking?"

Users who are viewing this thread