"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Offcourse but only when winning has a change. In this UKR has not. It wins by shipping grain to the world. And as you know ( i do read most of your post,they are well thought through) there is a time when when the fear of hunger will shift history. The deals before proof that.

Russia has been attacking those grain shipments for almost a month despite Ukraine only striking this week. Explain why Ukrainian restraint would change this.

They can, but when attacked is a bit easier to shut the cargos down. I do not see the tactical gain. UKR will not have control of sea. I Think they have more to lose there. They cant protect the grain vessels.
So why poke the anthill. Politics is this are in favour of the UKR. Not only the west but also a big player like Turkey. No i think its a mistake.

Ukraine isn't "poking the anthill". It's tendering repayment in kind. Do you honestly think the Russians will tell themselves, "Well, Ukraine is practicing restraint, so therefore we ought not attack Odessa"?

If so, I've got a big orange bridge you might be interested in buying on the cheap.

This is a war, not a negotiation. Once the enemy abandons an agreement, they are no longer protected by it either.

I get it that "sea clutter" is an issue, but isn't there an ability to discern a solid form amongst the surface motion, such as a periscope?

Plus, in a bay/harbor, the calmer surface would provide a better (clearer) return, wouldn't it?
Well, yes, and yes, but in theory. Sea clutter snows up the screen. Even a one foot chop, causes considerable noise or clutter. Large targets are more easily discernible in clutter, but a smallish drone with a low and narrow head-on profile, I think be hard to positively identify by a lesser system and by a less well trained sailor. We don't know the quality of the instrumentation on the Russian vessel, but I suspect it would be older technology.

So my radar is not a toy. It's a $10,000 replacement item. FWIW, it operates on the 10 centimetric band, same as the WWII RAF H2S systems.

Is Ukraine attacking transport shipping in preparation for a cut off of Crimea ?

If the bridge is finally rendered unusable and there is little to no shipping available
are the Russians then reduced to trying to supply Crimea via submarine etc as
Japan was at Guadalcanal ?

That didn't work out too well.

The cut off would of course have to include the top end of Crimea as well although
that is doable.

Well, yes, and yes, but in theory. Sea clutter snows up the screen. Even a one foot chop, causes considerable noise or clutter. Large targets are more easily discernible in clutter, but a smallish drone with a low and narrow head-on profile, I think be hard to positively identify by a lesser system and by a less well trained sailor. We don't know the quality of the instrumentation on the Russian vessel, but I suspect it would be older technology.

So my radar is not a toy. It's a $10,000 replacement item. FWIW, it operates on the 10 centimetric band, same as the WWII RAF H2S systems.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that.
I have a good idea on how various radar systems work, but beyond that, I'm short on the finer details.

Ukraine isn't "poking the anthill". It's tendering repayment in kind. Do you honestly think the Russians will tell themselves, "Well, Ukraine is practicing restraint, so therefore we ought not attack Odessa"?

If so, I've got a big orange bridge you might be interested in buying on the cheap.

This is a war, not a negotiation. Once the enemy abandons an agreement, they are no longer protected by it either.
Its not what ukr does or thinks but the impact in the rest of the world.

Is Ukraine attacking transport shipping in preparation for a cut off of Crimea ?

If the bridge is finally rendered unusable and there is little to no shipping available
are the Russians then reduced to trying to supply Crimea via submarine etc as
Japan was at Guadalcanal ?

That didn't work out too well.

The cut off would of course have to include the top end of Crimea as well although
that is doable.

The Ukrainians need to destroy the ferry terminal on Crimea as well or the Russians will use ferrys and ships to move their stuff.

Okay, so I make ONE effin' comment that dissents from the circle jerk this 1153 page thread already is and I get piled on by people telling ME to "keep it civil" and "no politics"? Seriously people. Check YOURSELVES. This entire thread is one sided political pile of dung. However, if it continues to give some of you a slight bulge in your pants, be my guest. I'm not into attempting to have a logical conversation with a bunch of brick walls.

Have fun and enjoy. I won't be looking here.

A man is driving down a highway when he hears a newsflash:
"A warning to all drivers: We've just heard that a vehicle is driving down **US-61** in the wrong direction!"
"What do you mean, 'a vehicle'?" grumbles the driver. "There's hundreds of them!"

Users who are viewing this thread

• Frog
Back