"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting shot. The MiG-29 has the ability to take off on rough or unprepared surfaces. It has a door in each intake that drops down to close that path to air. On top of the strake / wing root area are four or five rectangular panels with red Xs on them as seen in this picture. Those "doors" open like Venetian blinds to let air in.
I've read that the system doesn't work, in that debris build up against the intake door and once it opens after takeoff the debris is then sucked into the engine anyway.

I've read that the system doesn't work, in that debris build up against the intake door and once it opens after takeoff the debris is then sucked into the engine anyway.
is working against external debris, but has design flaw - internal surface of the engine's ducts duct is surprisingly highly loaded with pressure pulsation - the result is high cycle fatigue of the structure and engines are experiencing FOD damages caused by separated rivets...

Opinion piece by Adam Kinzinger:
Opinion: Why Republicans are turning against aid to Ukraine

Mods: please delete if too controversial. Note though that it does contain some interesting points relevant to the war.

In the other hand there was an interview on the same network with one of the Republican presidential candidates (Christie) who has just visited Ukraine ans who is adamant that aid must not only be continued but increased.

View: https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2023/08/06/chris-christie-ukraine-russia-torture-rape-bash-sotu-vpx.cnn

As GTX said
Mods: please delete if too controversial. Note though that it does contain some interesting points relevant to the war.

I haven't heard that but wouldn't be surprised! I've seen the louvers work in flight but can not speak to the doors.

Opinion piece by Adam Kinzinger:
Opinion: Why Republicans are turning against aid to Ukraine

I will not address the domestic American politics of this. I will only say that as an independent American voter who pays attention to world issues, I like supporting any people fighting for their own freedom, if it's a matter of defending a democracy. That this war is really the frontispiece of a greater clash, I see it in terms of 1940-41 -- avoid war where we may, but stand up and support like-minded folk.

is working against external debris, but has design flaw - internal surface of the engine's ducts duct is surprisingly highly loaded with pressure pulsation - the result is high cycle fatigue of the structure and engines are experiencing FOD damages caused by separated rivets...
Good to know. It's too bad Ukraine doesn't have the latest MiG-29s. I've read that the Egyptian MiG-29Ms are top drawer stuff, perhaps equal to the fourth Gen F-16s Ukraine will receive in 2024.

What's the latest and best MiG-29 Ukraine has? Something from NATO's former Warsaw Pact members presumably?

Last edited:
I doubt that anyone finds this unexpected as Russia has always been good at interfering with Satellite communications and had on occasion messed with GPS before the war started. Its fortunate that some of the weapons such as Storm Shadow don't just rely on GPS as proven by the hits on the bridges.

This made me smile, With Russia having to depend on N Korea for all sorts of items

Source Reuters
An elite group of North Korean hackers secretly breached computer networks at a major Russian missile developer for at least five months last year, according to technical evidence reviewed by Reuters and analysis by security researchers. Reuters found cyber-espionage teams linked to the North Korean government, which security researchers call ScarCruft and Lazarus, secretly installed stealthy digital backdoors into systems at NPO Mashinostroyeniya, a rocket design bureau based in Reutov, a small town on the outskirts of Moscow.

Reuters could not determine whether any data was taken during the intrusion or what information may have been viewed. In the months following the digital break-in Pyongyang announced several developments in its banned ballistic missile programme but it is not clear if this was related to the breach.

Experts say the incident shows how the isolated country will even target its allies, such as Russia, in a bid to acquire critical technologies

In 2011 Ukraine was still in Russia's orbit.
True. The better time to move was earlier, ideally right after the Orange Revolution of 2005, where the people of Ukraine actively sought freedom from Russian interference and desperately asked the West for help and yet were ignored.

As you say, by 2011 the window to act had come and gone: "Ukraine applied to integrate with a NATO Membership Action Plan (MAP) in 2008. Plans for NATO membership were shelved by Ukraine following the 2010 presidential election in which Viktor Yanukovych, who preferred to keep the country closer to Russia, was elected President." Ukraine–NATO relations - Wikipedia

2005-2010 was the West's opportunity to change history in Ukraine and to kneecap Putin's and his lackey Medvedev's (Putin's puppet president from 2008 to 2012) expansionist ambitions. Yes, the US and much of the West was distracted with occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, but Ukraine didn't need US boots on the ground - Ukraine just needed the West to extend a welcome and some interest in the nation's security.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back