"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am always cautious of commenting on something that has been said by an expert who knows more about a subject than me, but this is an exception. Many European countries have purchased the F16 and it has taken a lot less than four to five years to get proficient. Why are Ukraine so different, particularly when a number of their pilots have real hands on combat experience and also they are at war where the incentive to learn is even greater.

With this in mind I think in the immediate term Ukraine's supporters need to source more Fulcrums and/or Flankers for Ukraine. What would Egypt and Peru want in exchange for their MiG-29s? How about India and their pro-Putin leanings? If price is no object everything is for sale.

Last edited:
The speculation about the length of time for Ukraine to get up to speed with F-16s is all over the place, just like the length of time it would take Ukraine to get up to speed with the Leopard, Challenger and Abrams tanks.

I'm still thinking this is part journalistic sensationalism and part deliberate misinformation aimed at baffling Russia.

My guess, and that's all it is: 6-8 months transition to type for trained pilots, and another 6 months to grok the onboard avionics.

The author talks about "…the Lockheed Martin Joint Air-to-Surface Strike Missile—a two-ton stealthy cruise missile with a 230-mile range—still is on Kyiv's wish list. Unless and until the United States approves the JASSM for transfer to Ukraine, Ukrainian F-16s will fly short of their full potential."

Another capability of the F-16 will be detecting and hitting Russian aircraft, including attack helicopters over the frontlines from significant distance. I assume Ukraine will get AIM-120 AMRAAMs for their Vipers.
Which in turn will push Russian aviation further behind their own lines, ending their "bomb toss" attacks.

Another capability of the F-16 will be detecting and hitting Russian aircraft, including attack helicopters over the frontlines from significant distance. I assume Ukraine will get AIM-120 AMRAAMs for their Vipers.
Absolutely agree but lets not forget the level of ECM. If they can nullify the effectiveness S300 and limit the capability of the S400, the opportunities to make the most of the F16 increase significantly.

On a slightly different tack I am very surprised that Ukraine haven't asked for more attack helicopters, even of the AH1 variety.

It isn't often that I totally agree with a Russian statement on the war in Ukraine, but this one I do.

"The fact that Denmark has now decided to donate 19 F-16 aircraft to Ukraine leads to an escalation of the conflict," Russian ambassador Vladimir Barbin said in a statement cited by the Ritzau news agency.
That is in no small way the idea. Make life more difficult for Russia and increase the ability of Ukraine to take the fight to the occupied areas which is escalating the issues in Russia

"By hiding behind a premise that Ukraine itself must determine the conditions for peace, Denmark seeks with its actions and words to leave Ukraine with no other choice but to continue the military confrontation with Russia," he said

Translated means 'please stop supplying Ukraine as it makes life more difficult for us reducing the chances of a Russian victory'

I honestly don't think that Putin has seen the last of Prigozhin.

Allowing him to live after he marched on Moscow may be a bigger eff-up than invading Ukraine.

Could you quantify this in terms of hours? At how many total hours flying time, from first solo flight to combat readiness for a pilot? 1,000? 2,000? How much flying time?

Thanks!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread