"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm still curious as to how the Ukrainians are able to get a drone (or several) to travel the distance from Ukraine proper all the way to Moscow completely undetected in spite of a heightened Russian air defence network.

I would suspect that many of these drones are launched by Russian resistance fighters well inside Russia using either drones stolen from Russia's own military or supplied by outside people from not only Ukraine.

Last edited:
I brought this up before, but here it is again.

Question:

1. How many Ukrainian pilots are 'super' pilots that can be trained up to effectiveness on F-16s "quickly"?

2. How many of the 'super' pilots can be spared for training on the F-16?

3. How many Ukrainian pilots would have to be trained up from 'normal' capability pilots or from scratch?

Unless you can say definitively that the answer to Questions #1 and #2 is 'enough' then you are limited by the answer to Question #3 as far as how long it will take to bring the UAF upto operational effectiveness with the F-16.

Given the small size of the Ukrainian AF before the war began I would have to say the answer to Questions #1 & #2 is 'not enough'..

If you add in the need to also work out effective methods to use in the current combat environment, the delays may very well have as much to do with figuring out how to use the F-16s (and/or other aircraft) effectively without throwing them away. Just operating significant numbers as a unit will require the current situation - in terms of being able to effectively defend the airfields/airbases/(air roadways?) from attack - to be significantly improved.

QNjv4Bq69fD36Z3CN_HTLdFKJRGX72qg64PwfpWTVsk1bt9MkQ.jpg

I know schadenfreude is a low emotion, but --

MOSCOW, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Russia's first moon mission in 47 years failed when its Luna-25 space craft spun out of control and crashed into the moon after a problem preparing for pre-landing orbit, underscoring the post-Soviet decline of a once mighty space programme.

Russia's state space corporation, Roskosmos, said it had lost contact with the craft at 11:57 GMT on Saturday after a problem as the craft was shunted into pre-landing orbit. A soft landing had been planned for Monday.

"The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon," Roskosmos said in a statement.

Sorry for the digression.

How about its transported by ground it until close to the target then launch…

But if these are Ukrainian attacks, it would involve crossing the border into Russia thru the Kharkiv and then overland to Moscow, a distance of about 700km. Not sure that's a feasible attack vector for Ukrainians. I reckon Russian resistance operatives are a more likely scenario...but that's just an opinion (and we all know how much those are worth :)).

Remember very early this year the Americans admitted that the Ukrainians mastered the tanks that the US Army said needed a year to master in under two months.

The same will apply to the F-16 because the Ukrainian have a really good incentive to master every new weapon "yesterday" unlike the US servicemen who have no incentives to hurry because their families are safe and sound.

I would bet on a good Ukrainian pilot with a month on the front lines in an F-16 beating the USAFs top gun F-16 pilot two out of every three times, if not more.
While I don't agree with the "…within a month…" beating US top-guns statement, I think the amount of training required to be "operational" on an F-16, has been grossly overstated and exaggerated. How much time is required, I don't know. I'm not a pilot. But within a month dad went from his first solo flights in 4-engine Halifaxes to his first solo operation with his crew on Lancasters.

Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back