"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ZAPORIZHZHIA REGION, Ukraine, Sept 14 (Reuters) - For soldiers in Ukraine's "Spartan" brigade, danger could lurk behind every bush and in every field as they fight in Kyiv's counteroffensive against deeply entrenched Russian forces.

Progress through vast Russian minefields and heavily fortified defences has been slower than many Ukrainians had hoped since the counteroffensive began in early June.

Members of the Spartan brigade told Reuters in the southern region of Zaporizhzhia that the Russian troops have expert knowledge of the terrain where they are fighting because they have occupied the area for much of the 18-month-old war.

"The difficulty is that the enemy is fully entrenched and has set up minefields. In more than a year-and-a-half of war, their gunners targeted every field in this area," said a Howitzer commander, aged 21, who goes by the call-sign "Jordan".

"They know every inch of the land and target precisely, but we conduct good counter-fire activities and destroy their Howitzers, self-propelled guns and other types of artillery."

Another member of the brigade, Stepan, said advances were slow and methodical.

"Every inch, every field, every bush – someone is waiting for you there, and our forces must go in there to make sure that they are not there any more. Just our boys," he said at a location in the Zaporizhzhia region.

Stepan, 38, was a metal worker before he joined the Spartan brigade, which is part of Ukraine's National Guard, and was apprehensive at first.

"Their treacherous guided aerial bombs fell almost every 15-20 minutes here. You never know where and who this weapon will hit," he said.

"I did not know what to expect. But we got used to it eventually. I think we serve with dignity."

Brigade members are proud of their work.

"When people see Spartan (on your shoulder patch), they recognise you immediately. You don't need to give any extra explanations or explain where you are from. Spartan says it all," said Jordan, who was a medical student before the war.

"One granny gave me an apple and a bun so that I have some food on the way," he said.

There was an article linked to one posted by GTX , I think, a few days ago. I found it somewhat disturbing. The article reported that a Nato F-35 was surprised by being "intercepted" by a Russian plane, a Su-27 or a Su-35, over the Baltic Sea. The Russian plane caught our pilot unawares. I've been looking for that article but I haven't been able to find it again.

Several articles parrot the Su-30 "surprising" the lone Italian F-35 and they point back to the Bulgarian military site.

A few problems with this, though.
One, it's highly doubtful that any airforce, let alone the Italian Air Force, will be conducting single element patrols during a crisis situation. This "encounter" allegedly occurred last year shortly after Russia's invasion and NATO beefed up patrols over Eastern European countries, like Estonia, in this case.

Secondly, the F-35's early warning and detection system is designed to counter the very jamming systems that the Su-30 supposedly used to "sneak up" on the lone F-35.

And lastly, the Bulgarian site claims "several sources" as their origin of this encounter, but fail to provide any.

I really wish Joe were here to weigh in, but I'm going to say that the bullshit meter's needle be-a-swingin' pretty hard.

That article seemed off. I wanted to look into it but I couldn't find it again.

I take anything from Bulgarianmilitary with a pinch of salt. They have a lot of garbage. I post some stories though only to give a different perspective.

I take anything from Bulgarianmilitary with a pinch of salt. They have a lot of garbage. I post some stories though only to give a different perspective.
You posted a different article. This one I found scrolling down to other linked articles. It just didn't feel right.

Bulgarian military-dot-com does have some informative articles, but on occasion, they'll post bullshit and I believe those particular stories keep coming from the same contributor.

And I don't recall the clown's name at the moment, but I beleive he's also a milblogger - and three guesses, two don't count, as to which side he supports...

Users who are viewing this thread