"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sea Baby.

"The Sea Baby can withstand stormy weather

The experimental sea drone is able to operate in stormy conditions and hide behind high waves to avoid detection, according to New Voice, an independent digital news outlet based in Kyiv."

I believe we discussed this earlier about radar identification of small targets in high sea conditions. The target is lost in the "sea clutter". I'm sure that advanced systems and well trained alert radar operators may be able to identify such targets, but from my own experience with radar, it's a significant challenge, and clearly so for Russian systems and operators.

Jim

The experimental sea drone is able to operate in stormy conditions and hide behind high waves to avoid detection
I wonder if top tier destroyers such as the Arleigh Burke, Asahi, Daring, Hobart, Horizon (shown below) or Sejong classes could detect and counter such an attack.

_underway_in_the_Mediterranean_Sea_on_15_July_2017.jpg

There's not a lot of auto cannons on these advanced air defence destroyers.

Last edited:
I wonder if top tier destroyers such as the Arleigh Burke, Asahi, Daring, Hobart, Horizon (shown below) or Sejong classes could detect and counter such an attack.

View attachment 741826

There's not a lot of auto cannons on these advanced air defence destroyers.
Overhead detection by a drone carrying an IR camera is possible.

I asked the question on a vessel cruising forum on which I participate. Note especially post 4 from a US navy veteran.

That's late 1980's to early 1990's technology. Russian naval technology may not have advanced from what is presented above.

Jim

TLDR: Both sides lie, but one side lies much more then the other.

Ships can't deploy drones?
Any ship can deploy drones. Had the Russians deployed and effectively used airborne drones their ship(s) may have evaded or destroyed the Ukrainian naval drones no matter the capabilities, condition or use of the ship's sensors.

I'm wondering if today's most modern destroyers with their onboard systems and armament would be able to detect and destroy the Sea Baby - without the help of overhead drones or aircraft.

Last edited:
I agree.
There will be little if any thermal signature due to the overspray covering the surfaces being at sea temperatures, they are almost certainly painted with modern radar absorbing paints, there are few reflective surface and the colour will blend in with the background making identification using the Mk 1 eyeball difficult.

Gobsmacking...simply gobsmacking (Source: BBC):

Vladimir Putin has held a phone call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss the situation in Israel and Gaza, according to the Kremlin in Moscow.

In a statement, the Kremlin said the Russian president expressed his condolences to the families of Israelis killed in the recent attacks by Hamas and "stressed strong opposition to, and condemnation of, any actions whose victims are civilians, including women and children".

Gobsmacking...simply gobsmacking (Source: BBC):

Vladimir Putin has held a phone call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss the situation in Israel and Gaza, according to the Kremlin in Moscow.

In a statement, the Kremlin said the Russian president expressed his condolences to the families of Israelis killed in the recent attacks by Hamas and "stressed strong opposition to, and condemnation of, any actions whose victims are civilians, including women and children".
I agree completely .... it is literally mind-boggling to contemplate that even Putin's seemingly-boundless cynicism can countenance such public pronouncements as this. Life imitates art as Big Brother's Doublespeak becomes real (Yeah I know it's not the first time.....)

Russia's recent attacks towards Avdiivka seem to be petering out, but the operations involved a lot of different units. Elements have been identified from the

1st Guards Tank Army
41st Combined Arms Army (at least two different divisions, including one tank division)
At least two independent motor rifle brigades
1st Donetsk Army Corps (DPR militia)
2nd Guards Army Corps (LNR militia)
BARS (reservists)
Penal military units ("Storm Z" personnel)

Seems like a real grab bag of units. Co-ordination must be a nightmare.

1st Donetsk Army Corps (DPR militia)
2nd Guards Army Corps (LNR militia)
BARS (reservists)
Penal military units ("Storm Z" personnel)
As Magneto says, "the pawns go first". Those DPR/LNR guys must be questioning their anti-Ukrainian life choices. They're not religious fanatics willing to die for some perceived greater cause, or Messianic figure, of which Putin is not. Instead, like the Penal units, they're just local, stupid-minded thugs and drunks that are being fed into the grinder.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MSynAEaZk&pp=ygUSdGhlIHBhd25zIGdvIGZpcnN0

On another tact, send these to Ukraine for close quarters anti-drone work. Only in 'murica, lol.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibq2CFVZes8&pp=ygUNUmMgcGxhbmUgZmlyZQ%3D%3D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back