"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some articles in the use of DU and Tungsten rounds.

and

"Like its slightly denser cousin, tungsten, uranium can penetrate most heavy armour. But whereas tungsten projectiles become rounded at the tip upon impact, uranium shells burn away at the edges. This "self-sharpening" helps them bore into armour."

One other advantage of DU over Tungsten is DU is essentially "free" as a biproduct of the production of radioactive uranium fuels.

Jim

How long can Russia last out? Considering that the economy is doing okay, that after 20 months of war the 200k KIA is equal to a fortnight's losses in WW2, and those KIA plus 300k wounded are mainly from the prisons, poor folks and Russia's Far East Untermenschen, I'd say Russia can last until at least the end of 2025.

Last edited:

No doubt that will work out for her, or her country. The nail that sticks up gets hammered down. If she's lucky she'll get polonium tea. If unlucky, she'll languish in Kolyma until tuberculosis takes her.

I can admire her bravery, but I doubt anything will come of it.

Isn't pretty much any 120 mm armed Abrams variant more than capable enough for Ukraine? Most of the T-90s and later T-72 have already been destroyed, so the AFU's Abrams will be facing T-62s, T-55 and older T-72s.

It's a nice thought, but there's actually been a shift back towards Russia losing modernised/new production tanks in recent months in Ukraine. Although I suspect it may have something to do with Russia's ongoing offensives around Kupyansk and Avdiikva - a number of Guards and mechanised units got badly chewed up there.

Looking at visually confirmed Russian tank losses of known types since the start of October (165 identified by Warspotting):

T-55: 0%
T-62: 1.2%
T-64: 9.1% (of which T-64A/early B: 2.8%)
T-72: 54.5% (of which T-72A/early B: 24.2%)
T-80: 28.5%
T-90: 6.6%

For September through November tank losses were about 60% 'modern' (Russian made or refurbed) and 40% reactivated Soviet era equipment. That compares to a ratio of about 35:65 over June, July and August when Russia was in more of a defensive posture.

End of the day, there are still PLENTY of modern T-80s and T-90s and refurbed/updated T-72s and T-80s in Russian service in Ukraine. Estimates are that Russia has 1600 to 2300 tanks in theater, of which roughly 65-75% will be operational at any one time. You could probably say slightly better than half the fleet are 'modern' tanks.

More on the Black Sea storm that hit Crimea, russian EW affecting ukrainian drones, Rusia may be moving S-400 SAMs from Kaliningrad to other parts, massive increase of turkish goods to Russia for use in military production, more details on the July Kerch Bridge attack, updated russian T-62, russian soldier complaining that 120mm mortars rounds did not have enough explosive charges to reach their maximum range:

Users who are viewing this thread