"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apples and Oranges. More comparable would be Dieppe, which was a fiasco. That Ukraine has achieved as much as they have is a miracle. No allies on the ground. No air superiority. Limited equipment. Our expectations of greater success was/is unrealistic.

Jim

Just a tiny add on. What if the ukr punched a hole ? With what to fill it?
I have seen tables of Monty pilling up everything then go. Grinding high cost but worked for what he had at the time.

This is not a war economy. Expending end of life stock is good, but in an offensive you need continuity of supplies.
If you were a arm chair ukr general would you punch through not knowing if supplied followed?
Nehh so outcome is nudging. Just push it a little bit. Look what is happening, look if you can supply.

KYIV/LONDON, Dec 18 (Reuters) - Frontline Ukrainian troops face shortages of artillery shells and have scaled back some military operations because of a shortfall of foreign assistance, a senior army general told Reuters.

Brigadier General Oleksandr Tarnavskyi was speaking after Republican lawmakers held up a $60-billion U.S. aid package and Hungary blocked 50 billion euros ($54.5 billion) in European Union funding for Kyiv as it battles Russia's invasion.

"There's a problem with ammunition, especially post-Soviet (shells) - that's 122 mm, 152 mm. And today these problems exist across the entire front line," he said in an interview.

Tarnavskyi said the shortage of artillery shells was a "very big problem" and the drop in foreign military aid was having an impact on the battlefield.

"The volumes that we have today are not sufficient for us today, given our needs. So, we're redistributing it. We're replanning tasks that we had set for ourselves and making them smaller because we need to provide for them," he said, without providing details.

The comments underline Kyiv's reliance on Western military aid to fight Russian troops along a 1,000-km front nearly 22 months into the biggest conflict in Europe since World War Two.

Russian forces also face ammunition problems, Tarnavskyi said, without specifying their nature.

I guess all were not so lucky:

Interesting article.

I wonder how they would have reported on the "bleak outlook" of the landings at Normandy, Salerno or Okinawa.
For a report on the Overlord landings, start here on Pg 27.... LIFE

....and then follow along for a few months here.... LIFE

I am, by the way, up to Mar 12, 1945. It looks like we might win this conflict

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread