"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well there is the ongoing rumour of Mirage 2000s which should be pre-certified to use.

Yeah, but are there pilots certified to fly Mirage 2000s?
Thanks to all the killjoy grownups here, I have to ask;
Are there pilots qualified to fly them? Are the necessary parts and equipment there? Is the necessary support staff for them there?

(Yay! I just don't want another rainbow.)

Are there pilots qualified to fly them? Are the necessary parts and equipment there? Is the necessary support staff for them there?

That's part of the reason why these discussions take time

Makes me wonder if Macron's comment about western troops in Ukraine may have been a thinly veiled comment about French pilots flying the Mirage fighters that Ukraine is supposedly receiving...

I admit to not being a fan of the Mirage 2000. An additional aircraft with its inevitable support structure, in limited number of an old almost obsolete aircraft, that doesn't match the F16 in performance, is the last thing that Ukraine need.

I admit to not being a fan of the Mirage 2000. An additional aircraft with its inevitable support structure, in limited number of an old almost obsolete aircraft, that doesn't match the F16 in performance, is the last thing that Ukraine need.
Of course all you said is very true. But maybe other questions may be good also:

- Are those Mirage better than the current MiG-29, Su-24 & Su-27 that UAF uses today?

- Could they use more modern armament?

- There are enough soviet legacy aircraft & spare parts available? An obsolete aircraft must be more useful that not aircraft at all.

Don't forget that the F-16s that are bound for Ukrainia would not be Block 70s, would be some retired ones:

CC_2807042_3cf0da60fe9641148bbdaedd5f68ffe7_meme_otros_aviones_de_hace_50_anos.jpg

- Are those Mirage better than the current MiG-29, Su-24 & Su-27 that UAF uses today?
Yes they would be. the Mirage 2000 is roughly equivalent of the F-16 and would presumably be C/D variants. So long as they also get spares and other logistics support.
- Could they use more modern armament?
No need if given the same weapons France uses such as MBDA MICA and others
Don't forget that the F-16s that are bound for Ukrainia would not be Block 70s, would be some retired ones:
Indeed, so far I believe there are 61 F-16s promised with all being F-16AM/BM Block 15 MLU which include upgraded cockpit and avionics to the equivalent of that on the F-16C/D Block 50/52; add the ability to employ radar-guided air-to-air missiles; and to generally enhance the operational performance and improve the reliability, supportability and maintainability of the aircraft. Key upgrades include a modular mission computer with faster data processing, an advanced IFF system that allows "BVR weapons delivery in excess of radar limits," and an improved radar—the APG-66(V)2A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back