"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Signs of hope for an end to the Russian-Ukraine war emerged on Tuesday morning when a Russian official said Moscow would "reduce military action" in the north of Ukraine near Kyiv and Chirnihiv, according to multiple reports.

Negotiations between the two sides are taking place in Turkey a little more than a month into a conflict that has killed thousands on both sides, devastated much of Ukraine and led to stiff sanctions on Moscow from the west.

Talks in Turkey between Russia and Ukraine have wrapped for the day but are expected to continue. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ahead of the talks had argued that an immediate cease-fire was in each party's interest, according to a report by Bloomberg.

I guess they're tired of trying to feed the beached whale of the offensive against the capital.

Signs of hope for an end to the Russian-Ukraine war emerged on Tuesday morning when a Russian official said Moscow would "reduce military action" in the north of Ukraine near Kyiv and Chirnihiv, according to multiple reports.

Negotiations between the two sides are taking place in Turkey a little more than a month into a conflict that has killed thousands on both sides, devastated much of Ukraine and led to stiff sanctions on Moscow from the west.

Talks in Turkey between Russia and Ukraine have wrapped for the day but are expected to continue. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ahead of the talks had argued that an immediate cease-fire was in each party's interest, according to a report by Bloomberg.

I guess they're tired of trying to feed the beached whale of the offensive against the capital.

Just a little more detail on the source of the info about Russia reducing ops near Kyiv:

Russia's deputy defence minister Alexander Fomin says Russia will "radically reduce" military activity outside Kyiv and Chernihiv - that's according to the news agency Tass.

Aka, we got our ass handed to us in the north, so we will concentrate elsewhere to save face.

Aka, we got our ass handed to us in the north, so we will concentrate elsewhere to save face.

Right. They seem to have scaled back their war aims from the capture of Ukraine in its entirety, to establishing a formal and independent nation in Eastern Ukraine, a la the division of Germany or Korea after WWII.

I'm skeptical that will work either, as it relies upon Ukrainian forces not refocusing on the area.

Here's a translation of the comments made by Russia's Alexander Fomin, who's part of the negotiating team in Istanbul:

Due to the fact that negotiations over an agreement on Ukraine's neutrality and non-nuclear status and security guarantees (for Ukraine) are moving into a practical stage, and taking into consideration the principles discussed during today's meeting, the Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation has taken the decision to drastically reduce combat operations in the Kyiv and Chernihiv areas in order to boost mutual trust and create the necessary conditions for further negotiations and for the signing of the aforementioned agreement.

I'm still laughing at "security guarantees"...

In regards to the USN's Aegis warships (in the Med and Baltic), any missile launch by Russia that is determined to have a trajectory that would enter NATO airspace can be intercepted by them.

The issue of Russia launching a "tactical" nuke at the Ukraine would have to be a case by case situation. There is no doubt that the mobile launchers have been tracked and current positions known.

Also, considering the Ukraine's excellent track record of intercepting and destroying Russian missiles so far, I suspect that Russia would have a hard time "nuking" the Ukraine, since Russia wouls be launching a very limited number (one, two, perhaps?) as opposed to the many conventional missile fired so far - as mentioned upthread, out of 70 conventional missiles fired at the Ukraine, only 8 made it through. That's a hell of a fine job done by Ukrainian forces, to be honest.

I'm still laughing at "security guarantees"...

In regards to the USN's Aegis warships (in the Med and Baltic), any missile launch by Russia that is determined to have a trajectory that would enter NATO airspace can be intercepted by them.

The issue of Russia launching a "tactical" nuke at the Ukraine would have to be a case by case situation. There is no doubt that the mobile launchers have been tracked and current positions known.

Also, considering the Ukraine's excellent track record of intercepting and destroying Russian missiles so far, I suspect that Russia would have a hard time "nuking" the Ukraine, since Russia wouls be launching a very limited number (one, two, perhaps?) as opposed to the many conventional missile fired so far - as mentioned upthread, out of 70 conventional missiles fired at the Ukraine, only 8 made it through. That's a hell of a fine job done by Ukrainian forces, to be honest.

Key word if your post "can".

"Can" be intercepted. What is the success rate? I'm prettuy sure a successful intercept rate of a ballistic missile is not close to 100%.

If it were, there is no deterrent to using them.

Also, if we could shoot down a 100% of their ballistic missiles NATO would have engaged weeks ago and this war would be over.

Last edited:
Some things are certain IMO:
- nobody will believe anything the Russian government says in the next 50+- years; make it 100 years for the former USSR republics, Poland and Finland
- people will be ditching T-72/-80/-90 tanks as fast as their defence budgets allows it
- Turkish companies Baryaktar and Roketsan will be filling their pockets, and fast; (not that I have something against that, even though I dislike Erdogan very much)
- Europe better brace for expensive fuel/gas/etc for the next few years
- the only victor in this war is China

Key word if your post "can".

"Can" be intercepted. What is the success rate? I'm prettuy sure a successful intercept rate of a ballistic missile is not close to 100%.

If it were, there is no deterrent to using them.

Also, if we could shoot down a 100% of their ballistic missiles NATO would have engaged weeks ago and this war would be over.
The most likely Tactical nuclear missile Russia would use, is the SS-21, which they have been firing at the Ukraine already, with conventional warheads.

The Russians also have nuclear artillery - that would be a problem.

im really obsed about way how it was screwed by politicians
I wouldn't waste too much thought and especially any obsession on the Polish MiGs. Let's instead focus on the unprecedented assistance Ukraine has received from NATO, including over ten thousand man portable missiles, plus sniper rifles, reconnaissance drones, radar systems, night vision and radio equipment. Not to mention the top notch intel the US and NATO is providing to Ukraine through recon satellites and communications intercepts - the latter likely saved Zelinsky's life through advanced warning of a Russian assassination squad. I'd say, MiGs aside NATO is getting more right than wrong this time around.

The most likely Tactical nuclear missile Russia would use, is the SS-21, which they have been firing at the Ukraine already, with conventional warheads.

The Russians also have nuclear artillery - that would be a problem.

I'm not sure there would be enough time for an Aegis Cruiser to intercept a short range tactical nuke. We are talking very short distances here.

I, however, was referring to a ballistic launch against a NATO country. There is no 100% success rate against those missile types. Not even close.

Entertaining article from The Guardian: The drone operators who halted Russian convoy headed for KyivSpecial IT force of 30 soldiers on quad bikes is vital part of Ukraine's defence, but forced to crowdfund for supplies
Shouldn't this info be secret until after war? Was it the Guardian that published the faulty/poorly set fuses on Argentinian bombs in the Falklands, leading to the Argentines to address the matter and sink more RN ships? Isn't this a new "loose lips" moment?

Ukraine needs to retake the coast between Crimea and Donblast. If they don't now they'll lose it in the peace. Throw everything at that objective. Russia wants the below land bridge with Crimea in preparation for their next invasion. Take it back now or it's gone IMO.

640px-2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine.svg.png

I'm not sure there would be enough time for an Aegis Cruiser to intercept a short range tactical nuke. We are talking very short distances here.

I, however, was referring to a ballistic launch against a NATO country. There is no 100% success rate against those missile types. Not even close.
The Aegis systems have been going through new threat upgrades with extensive testing just last year. It's looking quite impressive at high-threat denial at present.

And here, at wiki (I know, I know, but it has a solid reference list):

Shouldn't this info be secret until after war? Was it the Guardian that published the faulty/poorly set fuses on Argentinian bombs in the Falklands, leading to the Argentines to address the matter and sink more RN ships? Isn't this a new "loose lips" moment?
No, where can i donate. This is one new thing on a battle field. And i would donate btw

Corparate slogans i imagine:

This tank was killed by Starbucks; with out sugar,
or
Amazone; primium and fired,
or
Microsoft update pending.

Could this be Putler's dirty bomb false flag ops, or will be? "The Ukrainians used dirty bombs on our troops." Folks in Russia don't have the same access to information as we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back