"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep - war and war-zones suck - especially for civilians.

Regards
Jagdflieger

Entirely agree, although there's a world of difference between deliberate targeting of military capabilities and civilians being caught inadvertently and what we're seeing in Ukraine. The long-range bombardment of civilian apartment blocks in multiple cities, "shoot first and forget about asking later" engagements by combat vehicles against civilian vehicles, attacking hospital facilities....those are not the actions of a military that's seeking to minimize civilian casualties. They're the actions of a military that fundamentally doesn't understand how to wage war except by total annihilation. It's dishonorable, immoral, and entirely contrary to any established norms for most militaries over the past 75 years.

If WWII had kicked off in Europe, it was always expected the Russians would use chemical weapons to drive huge numbers of fleeing civilians onto the roads to block Western reinforcements coming up, and would strafe the roads constantly to create widespread civilian casualties and terror and further hinder advancing Western troops - would you want to drive your tanks over roads carpeted with your dead and wounded civilians?

There is nothing new about this - Large scale killing of civilians was always part and parcel of the Russian armies playbook.

There is nothing new about this - Large scale killing of civilians was always part and parcel of the Russian armies playbook.

Which brings us back to the total lack of logical planning for the invasion of Ukraine. If you're planning to liberate an oppressed people, you don't do it by deliberately killing them....unless you're using the most expansive definition of the term "liberate".

I can understand wanting to disrupt the civilian population of your enemies. However, Putin and his cronies have persistently asserted that they're bringing freedom to the people of Ukraine who are living under nazi oppression. The illogic is breathtaking.

Maslow's Hammer: "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I'll pipe up, too.

Members of Duma, Russian government, and Russian military officers from colonels up are all guilty by association. All of them are lectured individuals, so there is no 'I didn't know' excuse. All of them are conscious human beings (I at least hope they are) giving either voice, or legality, or muscle to Putin, so there is no 'I could do nothing' excuse either. They are either supporting Putin, or are to much of cowards to stop him by any means necessary - either way they are guilty.

It is high time that we learn that a life of a next man in the street is as valuable as a life of anyone in the high-up a position. It is high time for people in position of power in Russia to assume responsibility for their actions, as well as for their inactions.
Putin himself needs to meet a bullet, for discouragement of the others. That is a way-out for any self-aware member of Russian government or military.

Comparing Ukraine and Russia is bad taste.

Looks like things are happening on the tanks.

I hope this is accurate. If so, I'd support pulling any older M1s we have in mothballs for refurbishment and backfilling the Czech arms.

As for the donated tanks being old, yes, they are. But they're facing low-quality troops which have already lost a significant proportion of their own armor, and they won't be operating under opposing air-superiority.

I hope this is accurate. If so, I'd support pulling any older M1s we have in mothballs for refurbishment and backfilling the Czech arms.
At 0:12, is that a T-72 minus ERA? I thought it looked like an old T-62.

Does Peru still have its twenty-odd MiG-29s? I'm sure a US security guarantee would free those up for a five stage transatlantic flight. Plus the US could send all its MiG-29s. Throw in the Polish ones and that's three or four squadrons worth. But damn it, the West needs to hurry, Russian offensive 2.0 will begin within the next 10 days or so.

I have to think the Ukrainians have one of the best MiG-29 paint schemes.

View attachment 663818

Might they want some invasion stripes under the wing to avoid friendly AA fire?
NATO doesn't have a National insignia for aircraft per se. I can't think of a more uniting symbol for its planes.
The Empire's air forces, USAAF and Free French aircraft had Invasion Stripes. Kind of like the same nations that form NATO.

At 0:12, is that a T-72 minus ERA? I thought it looked like an old T-62i.

It looks like one to me, but I'm no expert on Soviet tanks. wlewisiii would definitely be the better person to ask this to.

I don't think you're going to see American action in supplying planes. And Peru giving up its only squadron of supersonic fighters is a tall ask, too.

Yep, it's a T-72. The T-55 and T-62 both had 5 main road wheels, albeit with different spacing. The T-72 has 6 large road wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread