"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of the papers I read this morning said he has a history of targeting civilians. From what has been seen so far that seems to be the Russian preference. Maybe they are scared of people who can fight back

That was my first thought when I read that he'd commanded in Syria, that this signals a renewed assault on civilians, and importantly for Ukraine as a nation, their industrial infrastructure. They may be aiming to ruin Ukrainian industry for a generation whether or not they win or lose the battle.

I've also read that the concentration of Russian forces in Donbas will be a quite a bit higher than any other offensive of theirs in Ukraine thus far, in order to aid their chances of success. I haven't seen firm numbers and so can't vouch for this, of course.

Last edited:
I've also read that the concentration of Russian forces in Donbas will be a quite a bit higher than any other offensive of theirs in Ukraine thus far, in order to aid their chances of success.
I can't recall another war of this scale where both sides so publicly announced their redeployments for a coming battle. The Russians are concentrating their forces for an offensive into eastern Ukraine, while Ukraine is concentrating their forces to counter it.

Most of what I've heard about Russian deployments have come from Western or Ukrainian reports. Most of what I've heard about Ukrainian deployments has come from the Ukrainians, probably as an attempt to settle civilian nerves and encourage the civvies to GTFO before the shooting ramps up.

And I'm intrigued by the Ukraine looking to acquire anti-shipping missiles. I'm sure we'll see what they have up their sleeve soon enough, though.

With NATO member Turkey blocking all warship entry into the Black Sea the local Russian navy is quite limited. Maybe Ukraine aims to sink a few of these land attack missile equipped DD/FGs?

With NATO member Turkey blocking all warship entry into the Black Sea the local Russian navy is quite limited. Maybe Ukraine aims to sink a few of these land attack missile equipped DD/FGs?

The Ukrainians clearly have to defend their southern flank against further Russian reinforcements. ASMs would make a hot mess of a troop ship or DD trying to add weight to the assault on Mariupol.

The Ukrainians clearly have to defend their southern flank against further Russian reinforcements. ASMs would make a hot mess of a troop ship or DD trying to add weight to the assault on Mariupol.
They've already sank a few, including the ship that attacked Snake island - which was an epic tale of baiting the bear: Ukrainian Navy boats lured the Vasily Byvok into a chase, leading it into range of Ukrainian Army batteries who nailed it with rockets!

Yeah, so I've read. But I'd imagine they'd like ASMs to improve their capabilities? My understanding was that the Ukrainians used ATGMs -- is that accurate? If so, ASMs would be more useful.

I wonder how efficiently the RF redeployment is going. They lost some of their transport going to Kyiv. We saw vids of RF forces using requisitioned civilian SUVs and trucks. The RF lost significant numbers of troops, according to mainstream news. The troops being sent in have to be coming from somewhere. Georgia, Chechnya? Wouldn't it be a hoot if Chechnya and Georgia decided it's a good time to explore other avenues of international relations? I also wonder if Donbas and Luhansk separatists are still as committed to the cause or possibly may being sent to filtration camps themselves.

Hey wlewisiii, as long as you're here. I ignore a lot of YT channels of experts explaining why this tank is great/sucks. Your thoughts on the Spookston(?) and Cone of Arc channels? I take the Chieftain at his word.

Spookston is fine with in the context of the game he plays. Think about how close or not flight sim games are to real flying? War Thunder, World Of Tanks, etc, are the same for vehicles.

Don't know cone of arc, I'll look at it sometime.

The Tank Chats from the Bovington Tank Museum's Channel are exquisite.
Oh, and Sofilein has a fun channel. She just simply enjoys tanks

One of the papers I read this morning said he has a history of targeting civilians. From what has been seen so far that seems to be the Russian preference. Maybe they are scared of people who can fight back

Thinking about this some more:

Given the Russian difficulties with comm, to the point of having to use clear-channel stuff, I wonder how efficient his dissemination of orders will be, and more importantly, how secure it will be. My understanding (and I could well be wrong, welcome correction) is that Russian doctrine is less-flexible in devolving decisions to lower echelons; they prefer decisions to be made at higher levels and don't allow for as much adaptation and improv. They seem to be more top-down.

Is this in the ballpark of correct?

Georgia is no friend of Russia.

Not only did their naval fueler refuse to provide supplies to a Russian Navy ship, they have provided "volunteers" to the Ukraine's International Legion.

Matter of fact, now would be the perfect time for Georgia to launch a military operation to reclaime territory that Russia occupied in 2008 (they were "protecting" an ethnic Russian population, of course).
This would have a two-fold effect:
One, it would catch Russia off guard as their attention is elsewhere.
Secondly, it would divide Russia's resources at a critical time and pull Russia into a two front war.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread