"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm just wondering how far we can go without starting WW III. I am very concerned about the Russian drive in Eastern Ukraine. Mariupol seems to be in serious danger. Odesa is threatened. If Pee Wee Putler succeeds in his quest for the land bridge to Occupied Crimea, it will be a victory. The RF is positioning itself to take energy rich areas and cripple Ukraine's economy and access to the sea.
I don't have any ideas. Just venting.

So let me ask you - as a member of a European country, would you had been willing to go and fight or have one of your sons or daughters fight back then? Would you had been willing to risk a possible nuclear war? Same situation exists today.
Yes and far better risking a military confrontation with a Dimitri Medwedew those days ruling Russia and a totally incapable military, then as now with a very intelligent and dangerous Czar who has done a lot to increase Russia's conventional capabilities - mostly due to the Georgian fiasco.

There is a saying in German; "Wehret den Anfaengen" (resists the beginnings) After Hitler had militarily occupied the Rhineland in 1935 - and the French army would have reacted Hitler and his gang would have been history after 2 weeks if not within a week.

Regards
Jagdflieger

1990? Putin wasn't even thought of!!! The former Soviet Union fell in 1991. Boris Yeltsin was in power July 1991 – 31 December 1999. Putin didn't come into play until the late 1990s. Became Prime Minister in 2008 and President in 2012.
It is not that he was no one - otherwise the German parliament wouldn't have invited him as a guest speaker in December 1990
So the moment this fellow was able to grab the reigns in the Kremlin - all alarm bells should/must have rung.

But obviousy CIA/BND/MI6 etc. etc. must have all been sleeping or those lame politicians never bothered to read those reports seriously.

In July 1998 Pres. Boris Yeltsin made Putin director of the (FSB; the KGB's domestic successor), and shortly thereafter he became secretary of the influential Security Council. Yeltsin, who was searching for an heir to assume his mantle, appointed Putin prime minister in 1999.!!!!!!

Regards
Jagdflieger

Yes and far better risking a military confrontation with a Dimitri Medwedew those days ruling Russia and a totally incapable military, then as now with a very intelligent and dangerous Czar who has done a lot to increase Russia's conventional capabilities - mostly due to the Georgian fiasco.
Well your opinion - I'd like to see how the rest of Europe would feel about starting a nuclear war that could potentially wipe out mankind

1649783050985.png

BUT -

I do agree about dealing with the situation now as we have seen "a totally incapable military"

I think there's many other ways in dealing with this before risking nuclear war!

It is not that he was no one - otherwise the German parliament wouldn't have invited him as a guest speaker in December 1990

Regards
Jagdflieger
I think you still got your dates and speeches mixed up!

"Putin quoted a 1990 speech by Manfred Wörner to support his position that NATO made a binding promise not to expand NATO into new countries in Eastern Europe"

The Munich speech was given by Russian president Vladimir Putin in Germany on 10 February 2007 at the Munich Security Conference.

I think you still got your dates and speeches mixed up!

"Putin quoted a 1990 speech by Manfred Wörner to support his position that NATO made a binding promise not to expand NATO into new countries in Eastern Europe"

The Munich speech was given by Russian president Vladimir Putin in Germany on 10 February 2007 at the Munich Security Conference.

Sorry my bad - 2001 - that is why I had highlighted his 1999!!!!! appointment.

Unfortunately only in German.

Regards
Jagdflieger

Sorry my bad - 2001 - that is why I had highlighted his 1999!!!!! appointment.

Unfortunately only in German.

Regards
Jagdflieger
Well I translated that speech and nothing (completed a word search) is made about "NATO made a binding promise not to expand NATO into new countries in Eastern Europe" In that speech text NATO is mentioned 3 times.

He made that comment in 2007 and at that time relations were still good and it seems he hasn't lost his mind yet!

There is a saying in German; "Wehret den Anfaengen" (resists the beginnings) After Hitler had militarily occupied the Rhineland in 1935 - and the French army would have reacted Hitler and his gang would have been history after 2 weeks if not within a week.

Regards
Jagdflieger
There is a saying in English, "Hindsight is 20/20".

The twenty twenty part is regarded as perfect vision by the optometrist / eye doctor.

Well I translated that speech and nothing (completed a word search) is made about "NATO made a binding promise not to expand NATO into new countries in Eastern Europe" In that speech text NATO is mentioned 3 times.

He made that comment in 2007 and at that time relations were still good and it seems he hasn't lost his mind yet!
That speech wasn't about just NATO, but Putin referring to German-Russian history as an example that both nations prospered whilst being allied/aligned - him clearly being
in awe of Czarist Russia and indicating/hinting that Germany might reconsider it's allegiance.

Regards
Jagdflieger

That speech wasn't about just NATO, but Putin referring to German-Russian history as an example that both nations prospered whilst being allied/aligned - him clearly being
in awe of Czarist Russia and indicating/hinting that Germany might reconsider it's allegiance.

Regards
Jagdflieger
Well I read it (through translation) and I see no real "bells or whistles" that would have drawn any alarm. To me it sounded like a typical political speech that gave little implications of what he would do today.

Anyway - the latest and I'm not surprised.

Any former Soviet satellite that hinted at wanting to be closer to the west, has come under Putin's attempt at "protection":
Georgia
Moldova
Ukraine

This is all an attempt to regain former Soviet territory.
It's to their credit that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania were able to quickly get themselves under the NATO and EU umbrella before Russia woke up.

It's to their credit that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania were able to quickly get themselves under the NATO and EU umbrella before Russia woke up.
Not sure if many recall that in 2014, there were "separatist" movements in those countries, too.
The seperatist leaders were arrested and found to be members of the FSB.

So also to their credit, is good internal security.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back