"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm sorry but this doesn't pass my smell test. To be sunk in such a manner is hugely traumatic. Then in a couple of days rescue them, transport them back to home port, reissue the uniforms and then stand on parade.

It can be done and may well have happened, but it doesn't feel right.

I tend to agree. There was a fire and an explosion, and allegedly the ship sank under them….but none of the men in that line-up have any visible wounds.

Forgive my skepticism.

The governor of St. Petersburg confirmed that another Russian general has been killed amid the invasion of Ukraine, honoring him in a ceremony on Saturday, Russian media reported.

The deputy commander of the 8th Army, Maj. Gen. Vladimir Petrovich Frolov, died while fighting against Ukraine, Russian news outlets reported, citing St. Petersburg's administration's press service.

[...]

Several other Russian generals and top military personnel have reportedly been killed midst Russia's ongoing invasion against its neighbor, including deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army of the Central Military District Andrei Sukhovetsky; Maj. Gen. Vitaly Gerasimov, Lt. Gen Yakov Rezantsev; and Col. Sergei Sukharev, commander of the elite 331st Guards Airborne Regiment.

If this keeps up we'll be seeing corporals leading battalions and sergeants leading regiments.

Finland and Sweden appear to be edging closer to joining NATO, a move that leaders and experts see as the best way to confront Russia as it escalates its rhetoric on nuclear weapons.

The conflict in Ukraine has forced the two Nordic nations to reconsider their absence from the alliance forged after World War II, which commits members to defending one another if attacked.

"Mr. Putin is proving NATO relevant and necessary," said Sean Monaghan, a visiting fellow with the Center for Strategic and International Studies, referring to Russian President Vladimir Putin. "If NATO didn't exist, you'd have to invent it."

"Finland in particular but also Sweden are very stoic on these matters and see Russia with clear eyes. And that's why I think ultimately they will join NATO because they've seen Russia's revisionist threat has been building. And now it has boiled over with the invasion of Ukraine, and there's kind of no way back, and the best way for them to secure themselves against the threat posed by Russia is to join NATO."

As politicians and poll results in the two countries have reversed course on the prospect — favoring joining NATO after decades of abstaining — Moscow has renewed its threat of using nuclear weapons.

Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy chairman of Russia's Security Council and former president of Russia, wrote in a Telegram post on Thursday that "there can be no talk of non-nuclear status for the Baltic" if Finland and Sweden join NATO, adding that "the balance must be restored."

He said that should Finland and Sweden become part of the alliance, Moscow would need to "seriously strengthen the grouping of land forces and air defense, deploy significant naval forces in the waters of the Gulf of Finland."

I've emboldened what I think is the key point here, and one that seems to be playing out in Swedish and Finnish public opinion.

Just about anything claimed by Russia pegs my bullshit meter.

If we recall, just a few weeks ago, Ukraine forces launched a counter-offensive and drove the Russians back, at Mariupol. I honestly don't think the fighting is done there.

The Russians may have cleared a city block or perhaps a parking garage and this would be their great victory claimed.

I'll beleive Mariupol is lost when President Zelensky says it is.

People keep saying Putin must be allowed to save face. In the face of the continuing atrocities I think that time has passed.

I think it is time for the west to tell Putin any use of Nuclear weapons will result in radiation spreading to NATO countries. That will automatically be taken as a declaration of war by Putin, but not the Russian civilian population, on NATO. This also needs to be broadcast from relay transmitters hanging from weather balloons to the Russian population. Such transmitters would be difficult to eliminate and will stay aloft for many hours.

As he knows the Ukranians have proven his army is next to useless and a small NATO force could destroy the rest of his army within days so he needs to sue for peace now. Nothing less than the total removal of all Russian military and quasi-military personnel from all of the 1991 borders of Ukraine will be acceptable.

Unlike Putin NATO does not murder civilians and will do everything in its power to minimize civilian casualties. However, if NATO is forced into this war, they will destroy one Russian city of similar size for every Ukrainian city destroyed and destroy it to the same extent. Unlike Putin however NATO will give the cities 72 hours for all persons to evacuate.

To prevent Putin from defending said cities ten cities will be told to evacuate for every one to be destroyed. To prove that NATO is serious a military target in each of the named cities will be destroyed.

After the conflict Ukraine and NATO will not occupy any part of Russia.

People keep saying Putin must be allowed to save face. In the face of the continuing atrocities I think that time has passed.

I think it is time for the west to tell Putin any use of Nuclear weapons will result in radiation spreading to NATO countries. That will automatically be taken as a declaration of war by Putin, but not the Russian civilian population, on NATO. This also needs to be broadcast from relay transmitters hanging from weather balloons to the Russian population. Such transmitters would be difficult to eliminate and will stay aloft for many hours.

As he knows the Ukranians have proven his army is next to useless and a small NATO force could destroy the rest of his army within days so he needs to sue for peace now. Nothing less than the total removal of all Russian military and quasi-military personnel from all of the 1991 borders of Ukraine will be acceptable.

Unlike Putin NATO does not murder civilians and will do everything in its power to minimize civilian casualties. However, if NATO is forced into this war, they will destroy one Russian city of similar size for every Ukrainian city destroyed and destroy it to the same extent. Unlike Putin however NATO will give the cities 72 hours for all persons to evacuate.

To prevent Putin from defending said cities ten cities will be told to evacuate for every one to be destroyed. To prove that NATO is serious a military target in each of the named cities will be destroyed.

After the conflict Ukraine and NATO will not occupy any part of Russia.

Sorry, but this ain't Hollywood my friend. :D

More ranting. Let's start shipping M-1 Abrams to Poland. How long to train crews who might already be familiar with, oh I don't know, T-72s maybe? Let's assume the trainees are motivated.
i think it is already happen right now.... Poland just signed deal for delivery of 250 M1 SEP3 with supporting equipment. They are rumors that first 28 units - older versions delivered has been already delivered from US stocks for training purposes.

And here's a former marine's take on the current situation:

Strip_DOD_budget.jpeg

I'll beleive Mariupol is lost when President Zelensky says it is.
He's setting up expectations for that announcement.

Interesting analysis about the Moskva sinking:

The article stated "The claim reveals that the Top Pair radar couldn't distinguish the Neptunes flying over the sea from the crests of the waves due to the stormy weather."

I'd be surprised if this was the case. Even my 4' open array radar has anti sea clutter capability. Surely the Russians would have some pretty sophisticated systems that would have the capability to filter interference from sea-state. I think the radar operators just weren't paying attention. Or for some reason had turned off alarms/alerts possibly due to false alarms received to that point.

The article stated "The claim reveals that the Top Pair radar couldn't distinguish the Neptunes flying over the sea from the crests of the waves due to the stormy weather."

I'd be surprised if this was the case. Even my 4' open array radar has anti sea clutter capability. Surely the Russians would have some pretty sophisticated systems that would have the capability to filter interference from sea-state. I think the radar operators just weren't paying attention. Or for some reason had turned off alarms/alerts possibly due to false alarms received to that point.
Or drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back