"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is always fun to see the Russian propaganda machine at work.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to access this article
Neither could I but then it's just as well. Why read Sputnasty arcticles anyway?

I occasionally check out Al Jazeera, RT and others, just to see the "spin" they put on things.

If anything, it's like reading the Sunday Comic section of the newspaper.

I too like to get different news perspectives. It's worth watching other news sources because if you only watch the ones that tell you what you want to hear you often aren't getting the news.

RT is just straight propaganda though and a waste of time.

Or find him and toss him into a Turkish prison.
He'll have an entirely different perspective of rape...

D961AADC-F7D5-4127-92E3-38C9D4457D97.gif

More ranting. Let's start shipping M-1 Abrams to Poland. How long to train crews who might already be familiar with, oh I don't know, T-72s maybe? Let's assume the trainees are motivated.

More ranting. Let's start shipping M-1 Abrams to Poland. How long to train crews who might already be familiar with, oh I don't know, T-72s maybe? Let's assume the trainees are motivated.
Presuming good motivation? About a year. There is very little in common between an M-1 and a T-72. First you need to enlist 25% more tankers. You need to get them used to being a four man crew, manually loading the main gun, learning the completely different fire-control systems (thermal sights, computer, laser rangefinder, etc). learning to drive the vehicle, leaning to maintain the vehicle according to the -10 and the real killer - everyone learning all four positions well enough to fill in if necessary and work together at them as a team. Then after all that training comes qualifying on the tank gunnery course, a 2 to 3 month process in itself. It may be different now with the improved sim software available but that took lots of hands on work with the crew, dummy rounds and the gunner/TC going through lots of exercises before even firing the first round downrange.

Meanwhile the unit maintenance and direct support maintenance would need to learn how to maintain the new tank and even worse, the new turret. They would need to learn to use all the special tools that exist for the tank and its electronic components. Swap out the entire spare parts stocks.

Logistics train would be completely overhauled: 120 mm semi-caseless ammo in place of the two piece 125mm ammo, different fueling techniques and depending on circumstance, different fuel. The M-1 turbine is multifuel but you'll need a _LOT_ more of that fuel. You'll need different recovery vehicles as well.

Changing vehicle types is one thing M-1 ->M-1A ->M-1A1->M-1A2 or T-64 ->T-80 even, is one thing. Changing vehicle ecosystems is a very different thing and you don't want to be doing it while combat operations are underway (well, unless you're the US in WWII... )

Presuming good motivation? About a year. There is very little in common between an M-1 and a T-72. First you need to enlist 25% more tankers. You need to get them used to being a four man crew, manually loading the main gun, learning the completely different fire-control systems (thermal sights, computer, laser rangefinder, etc). learning to drive the vehicle, leaning to maintain the vehicle according to the -10 and the real killer - everyone learning all four positions well enough to fill in if necessary and work together at them as a team. Then after all that training comes qualifying on the tank gunnery course, a 2 to 3 month process in itself. It may be different now with the improved sim software available but that took lots of hands on work with the crew, dummy rounds and the gunner/TC going through lots of exercises before even firing the first round downrange.

Meanwhile the unit maintenance and direct support maintenance would need to learn how to maintain the new tank and even worse, the new turret. They would need to learn to use all the special tools that exist for the tank and its electronic components. Swap out the entire spare parts stocks.

Logistics train would be completely overhauled: 120 mm semi-caseless ammo in place of the two piece 125mm ammo, different fueling techniques and depending on circumstance, different fuel. The M-1 turbine is multifuel but you'll need a _LOT_ more of that fuel. You'll need different recovery vehicles as well.

Changing vehicle types is one thing M-1 ->M-1A ->M-1A1->M-1A2 or T-64 ->T-80 even, is one thing. Changing vehicle ecosystems is a very different thing and you don't want to be doing it while combat operations are underway (well, unless you're the US in WWII... )
Or you are in Ukraine being invaded by hordes of semi competent Putinistas.
I know, I know. I appreciate your answer, big time. It's just that the West seems to be running out of Soviet tanks. Just like Russia.
I guess we should start the process now.

I admit twelve months to train a tank crew was more than I expected. In a war situation which is what we are talking about there normally are ways to shorten training periods.
How long does it take to train say a National Guardsman to use an M1, presumably as this is part time training it must take three to four years

Presuming good motivation? About a year. There is very little in common between an M-1 and a T-72…
Dad went from the OTU on twin engine Wellingtons in July 1944 with a crew of 6, to less than a month at HCU on 4-engine Halifaxes September 1944, adding the flight engineer, and then about 10 days on Lancasters on his operational squadron before his first Op October 4, 1944.

Necessity can contract timelines. Better start translating those Tank Manuals to Ukrainian.

Jim

Last edited:
During the last few days, I scanned some Russian sources - Telegram channels and forums in order to understand how people in RF discussed the "Moskva" cruiser sinking. Mostly, it was as expected: anger, sadness, blaming NATO and all "West" (because, you know, they are fighting NATO, not Ukraine).
But one thing did surprise me: they mourned the ship, not the crew. Just several questions such as "but how many boys did survive", immediately rebuked: "this is a war and our leadership knows what to disclose". And most of the talk was about the ship, her weapons, her history, her "glory".
Certain things never change in the Moscow-land. They do value their military toys more than human lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back