"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FQuXiZSXsAQ-WSy?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Update...unidentified allies have sent military aircraft to Ukraine:

Ukraine's allies have provided Kyiv with additional military aircraft and aircraft parts to increase their fleet size and repair others in Ukraine's arsenal that were damaged, the US defence department said on Tuesday.

"They have received additional aircraft and aircraft parts to help them get more aircraft in the air," Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said at a news briefing.

He added that Washington had not provided aircraft to Kyiv.

Earlier, US President Joe Biden held a video call with Western leaders about stepping up military support to Ukraine. They pledged to send more weapons to help the country defend itself against the renewed Russian offensive in the east.

And the UK is promising to provide Ukraine with Brimstone missiles:

More now on what's been promised by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, following his video call with President Biden and others earlier.

Johnson was among the Western leaders who pledged to send more artillery to Ukraine.

Specifically, he said he planned to equip Kyiv with anti-ship missiles - including by mounting British Brimstone rockets to vehicles.

Reuters reports that Brimstones have previously been used by UK forces in Libya and Syria, and are typically launched from fast jet aircraft. They're used against fast-moving land and sea targets.

Videos from Mariupol from Azov battalion. First two appeared on YouTube today/yesterday, third
little over a week

Looking at the first video the Russians seem to be using impressed civilian vans and trucks.

Also listening to the UK MOD briefing it looks as if the Ukraine Army are holding their own against the Russians:-

Ukrainian forces have repelled "numerous attempted advances" by Russian forces on the Donbas line of control as Moscow's shelling and attacks in the area "continue to increase" on Tuesday, according to the latest British defense intelligence update.

"Russia's ability to progress continues to be impacted by the environmental, logistical and technical challenges that have beset them so far, combined with the resilience of the highly-motivated Ukrainian armed forces," the UK Ministry of Defence tweeted.
Russian forces have not been able to "stamp out resistance" in Mariupol, despite several "indiscriminate" attacks, which is "indicative of their failure to achieve their aims as quickly as they would like," it added.

I'm not familiar with the Brimstone missile but it sure has a descriptive name.

It's a pretty good piece of kit. Made by MBDA:

Its "fire and forget" nature make it well-suited to "shoot and scoot" tactics. However, I'm a bit nervous about the idea of bolting an air-launched missile onto a ground vehicle. I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the number of targets successfully struck.

From the wiki article "In combat, Brimstone has demonstrated accuracy and reliability "both well above 90 percent" according to the MoD; Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton has said that 98.3% to 98.7% of Brimstone fired in Libya "did exactly what we expected"." Just to note that Steve Dalton was one of two CO's I had when I was on 13 Sqn...the other was Glenn Torpy who preceded Dalton as Chief of the Air Staff.

Last edited:
It's a pretty good piece of kit. Made by MBDA:

Its "fire and forget" nature make it well-suited to "shoot and scoot" tactics. However, I'm a bit nervous about the idea of bolting an air-launched missile onto a ground vehicle. I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the number of targets successfully struck.

From the wiki article "In combat, Brimstone has demonstrated accuracy and reliability "both well above 90 percent" according to the MoD; Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton has said that 98.3% to 98.7% of Brimstone fired in Libya "did exactly what we expected"." Just to note that Steve Dalton was one of two CO's I had when I was on 13 Sqn...the other was Glenn Torpy who preceded Dalton as Chief of the Air Staff.
it was tested in both vehicle and naval versions, mounted on tracked chassis was part of the proposal in vehicle missile tank destroyer competition for Polish land forces

Second offensive (at least the initial stage) seems to be underway, with attacks southwards and southwest from Izyum, northwards from Donetsk City and West from Rubizhne. Total width of the front is reportedly 350 to 400 km, although obviously concentrated around a few key axes.

According to several reports, Russia is concentrating much greater numbers of fixed artillery assets to support these attacks than it did with its first offensive phase. And using far fewer PGMs.

What it has not done though is to substantially rest and refit troops that it has repositioned from the failed encirclement of Kyiv. Troops are still being fed piecemeal into the lines, rather than being reformed and brought fully back up to strength. Interesting choice - suggests to me that time is an important factor to the Russians.

I'd suggest significant Russian territorial advances are inevitable. I don't think we'll see the rapid but narrow advance with armour and light forces of the phase in February and early March. Instead, I suggest this will be much more of a steady grind, taking small chunks of territory, eliminating a portion of the defense, then resetting and going forward again. What will be most telling will the Russian capacity to sustain and support advances over the coming weeks.

Ukrainian defense so far has appeared to be fairly flexible - willing to cede ground, provided it can do so at significant cost to the attackers. Ukrainian capability to disrupt Russian lines of supply will probably be just as vital as in the first phase, if not more so. A wide push like this could fall apart if one of the elements is stymied from lack of resupply.

Second offensive (at least the initial stage) seems to be underway, with attacks southwards and southwest from Izyum, northwards from Donetsk City and West from Rubizhne. Total width of the front is reportedly 350 to 400 km, although obviously concentrated around a few key axes.

According to several reports, Russia is concentrating much greater numbers of fixed artillery assets to support these attacks than it did with its first offensive phase. And using far fewer PGMs.

What it has not done though is to substantially rest and refit troops that it has repositioned from the failed encirclement of Kyiv. Troops are still being fed piecemeal into the lines, rather than being reformed and brought fully back up to strength. Interesting choice - suggests to me that time is an important factor to the Russians.

I'd suggest significant Russian territorial advances are inevitable. I don't think we'll see the rapid but narrow advance with armour and light forces of the phase in February and early March. Instead, I suggest this will be much more of a steady grind, taking small chunks of territory, eliminating a portion of the defense, then resetting and going forward again. What will be most telling will the Russian capacity to sustain and support advances over the coming weeks.

Ukrainian defense so far has appeared to be fairly flexible - willing to cede ground, provided it can do so at significant cost to the attackers. Ukrainian capability to disrupt Russian lines of supply will probably be just as vital as in the first phase, if not more so. A wide push like this could fall apart if one of the elements is stymied from lack of resupply.

Agree with all the above...that's a great summary of how things currently stand. I'd only add that Ukraine is stating that their Army has sprung counter-attacks, and they're claiming to have retaken the town of Maryinka near Donetsk. If so, I hope this further helps strengthen/bolster Ukrainian resolve and undermine Russian efforts to defeat the Ukrainian forces.

Ok...this one's a peach:

A Russian tycoon has blasted Moscow's "massacre" in Ukraine and called on the West to end the "insane war", in a profanity-laced Instagram post.

"I don't see a SINGLE beneficiary of this insane war! Innocent people and soldiers are dying," wrote Oleg Tinkov, 54, in Russian.

According to him, "90%" of his fellow Russians are also against this war. The remaining 10% "are morons" he said.

Tinkov, one of Russia's most well-known entrepreneurs, founded Tinkoff Bank in 2006.

On Instagram he added: "Waking up with a hangover, the generals realised that they have a shit army.

"And how will the army be good, if everything else in the country is shit and mired in nepotism, sycophancy and servility?"

Before Russia invaded Ukraine in late February, Tinkov's wealth had been estimated at more than $4.4bn (£3.4bn).

But he has since lost his billionaire status as shares in his bank have plummeted, Forbes reported last month.

In a statement, Tinkoff Bank said it would not comment on the "private opinion" of its founder, saying he no longer makes decisions for the brand.

Ok...this one's a peach:

A Russian tycoon has blasted Moscow's "massacre" in Ukraine and called on the West to end the "insane war", in a profanity-laced Instagram post.

"I don't see a SINGLE beneficiary of this insane war! Innocent people and soldiers are dying," wrote Oleg Tinkov, 54, in Russian.

According to him, "90%" of his fellow Russians are also against this war. The remaining 10% "are morons" he said.

Tinkov, one of Russia's most well-known entrepreneurs, founded Tinkoff Bank in 2006.

On Instagram he added: "Waking up with a hangover, the generals realised that they have a shit army.

"And how will the army be good, if everything else in the country is shit and mired in nepotism, sycophancy and servility?"

Before Russia invaded Ukraine in late February, Tinkov's wealth had been estimated at more than $4.4bn (£3.4bn).

But he has since lost his billionaire status as shares in his bank have plummeted, Forbes reported last month.

In a statement, Tinkoff Bank said it would not comment on the "private opinion" of its founder, saying he no longer makes decisions for the brand.

Sanctions sure do suck, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back