"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, Google has chosen sides.

Interesting "horns of a dilemma" problem there. Does the Kremlin blame an attack by Ukraine, which is a major shift in narrative and inspires criticism that the Black Sea Fleet' flagship couldn't defend itself....or do they stick with the accidental fire story which suggests incompetence within the Russian Navy.
Considering they have a modern tradition of naval incidents another self inflicted incident shouldn't raise too many eyebrows
(Kursk and Kuznetsov for instance).

Considering they have a modern tradition of naval incidents another self inflicted incident shouldn't raise too many eyebrows
(Kursk and Kuznetsov for instance).

Not sure I agree. Kursk and Kuznetsov were peacetime accidents. Theoretically, Moskva was on a wartime footing. One would expect their damage control drills to be much more effectively practiced.

For all Moscow's efforts to hide the realities of the war in Ukraine, it will all seep out eventually. There will simply be too many parents, siblings or spouses who lost family members and their neighbours will know them. It's like King Cnut trying to hold back the tide...it will come in. I just hope it happens soon and that there's a suitable reckoning for Putin and his cronies.

Not sure I agree. Kursk and Kuznetsov were peacetime accidents. Theoretically, Moskva was on a wartime footing. One would expect their damage control drills to be much more effectively practiced.

As the US and Japanese navies both learnt, learning DC in wartime conditions is a bitch. That's certainly something you hammer out in peacetime -- one thing our navy has done very right. I'm sure the Russians will learn from this but I wonder how much will be put into place after the corruption has taken its slice.

Although signals intel is still being analyzed, it appears that there is no indication that Moskva was aware she was under attack before the first missile hit. ELINT detected no sudden change in radar signatures (ie fire control radars or ECM systems coming online) nor were there any unusual communications between the Moskva and the other assets in the area (prior to the first impact) that would indicate a sudden awareness of incoming missiles. Apparently the missiles hit about 10 sec apart.

NOTE Source for the above is usually accurate.

Last edited:
Although signals intel is still being analyzed, it appears that there is no indication that Moskva was aware she was under attack before the first missile hit. Elint detected no sudden change in radar signatures (ie fire control radars or ECM systems coming online) nor were there any unusual communications between the Moskva and the other assets in the area (prior to the first impact) that would indicate a sudden awareness of incoming missiles. Apparently the missiles hit about 10 sec apart.

If these two missiles were launched from this island, and the Moskva was 20-40mls away? seems to me that the Russian intel. simply wasn't aware about these missiles being
stationed there. otherwise it would have been total stupidity and neglect to sail that close by.

Regards
Jagdflieger

Although signals intel is still being analyzed, it appears that there is no indication that Moskva was aware she was under attack before the first missile hit. Elint detected no sudden change in radar signatures (ie fire control radars or ECM systems coming online) nor were there any unusual communications between the Moskva and the other assets in the area (prior to the first impact) that would indicate a sudden awareness of incoming missiles. Apparently the missiles hit about 10 sec apart.

Over confidence mixed with lack of training, perhaps?

It seems to me, that with the loss of the Vasily Bykov, they would have become more wary of Ukrainian capabilities and placed their naval assets on a higher state of alert (meaning: hey, we're actually at war and need to act accordingly).

The Ukrainian Neptune systems are all (I think) mobile truck or trailer mounted systems.

Neptune Fire Unit.jpg

Neptune launcher and commo unit.jpg

It is interesting that the Sea of Azov is up to 135km wide when the Neptune missiles can reach 300km. Not a wonder
the Russians want to get hold of the Southern Ukrainian coast.

For all Moscow's efforts to hide the realities of the war in Ukraine, it will all seep out eventually. There will simply be too many parents, siblings or spouses who lost family members and their neighbours will know them. It's like King Cnut trying to hold back the tide...it will come in. I just hope it happens soon and that there's a suitable reckoning for Putin and his cronies.

What are these 'Damage control drills' of which you speak?

The current Russian Fleet is little advanced in basic damage control, firefighting and lifeboat drills over the Russian Fleet that was annihilated at Tsuhima

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back