"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I grill my own at home (usually beef, sometimes lamb when I can find a good deal), and serve with saffron rice. There's a couple of good places in Austin for this fare, but I hate driving into the city, absolutely hate it.

I'm specifically talking about the German-Turkish version that was first created in Berlin. It is a popular street food in Germany served in pita type bread with meat, sauces, and vegetables. Every street corner in Germany has one. Even the smallest village will have a church, a pub, and Döner Kebab store.

94C4595E-7AAA-443C-8C5E-E0B05EA862BE.jpeg

Although its fun to blame Ergdogan for everything, we should probably get back on topic…:lol:

I'm specifically talking about the German-Turkish version that was first created in Berlin. It is a popular street food in Germany served in pita type bread with meat, sauces, and vegetables. Every street corner in Germany has one. Even the smallest village will have a church, a pub, and Döner Kebab store.

View attachment 668359

Although its fun to blame Ergdogan for everything, we should probably get back on topic…:lol:

Right, there's a food thread for this stuff. That sure looks good, though it ain't the way I've eaten them before.

I'd never seen one served with bread, very interesting.
------------------------

So if Turkey objects, does it scuttle Sweden and Finland from joining?

Apparently Article 10 requires unanimous assent by current members, according to the Great Wiki. What I've read in the news indicates that the US amongst others is/will be applying pressure to Turkey on this matter.

I personally would trade Turkey for Sweden and Finland. The latter two are much more aligned politically with NATO than Turkey under Erdogan. Sweden has a great indigenous military-industrial plant, too.

Apparently Article 10 requires unanimous assent by current members, according to the Great Wiki. What I've read in the news indicates that the US amongst others is/will be applying pressure to Turkey on this matter.

I personally would trade Turkey for Sweden and Finland. The latter two are much more aligned politically with NATO than Turkey under Erdogan. Sweden has a great indigenous military-industrial plant, too.

Yebbut I wouldn't want to be throwing Erdogan further into Putin's orbit right now. Kicking Turkey out of NATO could make it really hard for the US and Western European Allies to get ANYTHING into the Black Sea....ever.

Yebbut I wouldn't want to be throwing Erdogan further into Putin's orbit right now. Kicking Turkey out of NATO could make it really hard for the US and Western European Allies to get ANYTHING into the Black Sea....ever.
If the West had any consideration of the wider implications of their decisions they'd not have abandoned Constantinople.

True enough, but I question the value of fighting over the Black Sea given its constriction. Put a stopper at the bottle and let Russian or Turkish assets molder there, and then control the sea with airpower based in continental Europe.

If the West had any consideration of the wider implications of their decisions they'd not have abandoned Constantinople.

Well, gosh, who can't look 600 years into the future? What a dummy!

Congress must pass a proposed $40 billion Ukraine supplemental aid package by Thursday to avoid an interruption of U.S. weapons shipments to the embattled country, the Pentagon's top spokesperson said Friday.

"May 19 is the day we really — without additional authorities — we begin to not have the ability to send new stuff in," press secretary John Kirby told reporters. "It'll start impacting our ability to provide aid uninterrupted."

Earlier this week, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, along with Secretary of State Antony Blinken, sent a letter to House and Senate leadership asking for the money by the end of next week "if we are to continue are security assistance at the current pace."

And the Pentagon on Monday said the $3.5 billion in drawdown authority — passed in March as part of the $1.5 trillion government funding bill — will be exhausted later this month.

About $100 million is still left from that pot of money and has not yet been allocated, Kirby said.

The House on Tuesday passed the supplemental package for Ukraine, but the Senate was unable to do so after Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) blocked the bill's passage over demands that there be more oversight on how the money will be spent.

Kirby said the Pentagon urges the Senate "to act as quickly as possible so we don't get to the end of May and not have any additional authorities to draw back, to draw upon."

Isolationism didn't work in the 40s either, ya dimbulb.

This is exactly what I feared…

The US government is calling for a ceasefire between Ukraine and Russia. If that happens Ukraine will never regain its lost territory in any negotiation. The US government's position should instead be to demand Russia withdraw from all Ukranian territory and that until they do the US will continue its active support.

It isn't just the fact they tried it, there can only have been negligible if any preparation.

I am no military mastermind, but where was the recce to see what forces the Ukrainian Army might have waiting for them. Where were the initial crossings by assault boats and amphibious tanks to hold an initial bridgehead, where was the air cover and AA defences because once found, a pontoon bridge was guaranteed to attract attention like insects to a honey pot, and where was the artillery support.

There is no sign of any of it
Seems to just be business as usual for the Russians. Do they just not have a War College?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back