"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am concerned and deeply worried about tonight. It appears that 3 mile convoy has arrived at Kyiv. I think Putin will turn the heat up. The brave Ukranian fighters at some point may be overwhelmed. I think tonight could be a very bloody one.
I expect much of the Ukrainian Javelin force will be ready, likely with night vision equipment from NATO. The Russians seem to stop dead at night.

Nearly two years old Stanisław Skalski at Kharkiv, now Ukraine, where his family moved from Kodyma, also Ukraine. A short while later family fled to Poland, following Bolshevik Revolution.
He would later became the first fighter ace of WWII, and the leading Polish fighter ace, ever. At 30 he was already a living legend of the Polish Air Force.
Post-war he returned to Soviet controlled Poland (Thanks to Yalta), was arrested and went through hell, but survived.
You can read the full story in this book, link below.
Right now, Kharkiv is heavily bombed by the people who glorify those, who tortured and murdered heroes like Skalski, thanks to whom Germany was defeated.
There are many children there, looking just like him on the photo. How many will never grow up to become worldwide recognised?
There are many questions which require quick and strong answers.
skalski.jpg

Last edited:
The International Criminal Court will open an investigation into alleged war crime conducted by Russia in Ukraine.

"There is a reasonable basis to believe that both alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity have been committed in Ukraine," Karim AA Khan, the ICC prosecutor has said.

"It is my intention that this investigation will also encompass any new alleged crimes falling within the jurisdiction of my Office that are committed by any party to the conflict on any part of the territory of Ukraine".

The International Criminal Court will open an investigation into alleged war crime conducted by Russia in Ukraine.

"There is a reasonable basis to believe that both alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity have been committed in Ukraine," Karim AA Khan, the ICC prosecutor has said.

"It is my intention that this investigation will also encompass any new alleged crimes falling within the jurisdiction of my Office that are committed by any party to the conflict on any part of the territory of Ukraine".

Enough said…

9404C44E-3EE2-4E84-8800-DDD7CBEFB49A.jpeg

So it has begun, the reassembly of the USSR, or maybe even the old Russian Empire.
Hey Fulda, how's your gap?
We kept them out of the Fulda Gap when I was there in '61 to '63. We were armed with the first rocket artillery missile the US ever fielded- the Corporal IIB, a nuclear-armed liquid-fueled missile that was transported by huge LeTourneau vehicles. Our unit operated out of a kaserne in Babenhausen, Germany but we spent lots of time in the field training.

I think the best outcome to this current Russian-Ukraine war is for the senior Russian leadership to take out Putin by force.

Attachments

• Corporal Launcher 2.jpg
    Corporal Launcher 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 18
Whew! A lot of thread to read. The Russians seem to be running out of fuel… that happened to another despots army I recall and in Russia too. Russian equipment has lousy fuel economy and the fact that this operation is taking so much longer fuel is a big deal. A tank without fuel is scrap metal. Depending on their engineering, they may or may not need the prime mover on line to generate power for the rest of the systems. Those convoys are sitting ducks and much of that convoy would be necessary to resupply the heavy equipment. Many battles are lost due to destruction of simple trucks. The US Army and Air Force realized you didn't have to kill all the tigers and panthers with the p47s and Typhoons, you just needed to blow up the fuel trucks. The last thing Putin wanted was an urban war with a civilian population armed to the teeth and mad as hell. Even grandmothers are learning to shoot an AK47. This can be very disturbing to a conscript army.

Again, that would need approval and to do so would also change the supply chain because the internal equipment in the aircraft would be different - equipment, avionics, long lead time items would need to be rescheduled

First, Poland, like other customers, contracted for their aircraft but did not pay for the entire order. They will make progress payments based on their delivery schedule. Even the US does not hand the entire contract amount to the contractor, this is also done for the customer's budgetary planning and to make sure the contractor delivers on time and their product is acceptable. I do not believe the US cut into F-35A (USAF version) orders for Israel.

And when they make that transfer, do you think LMCO will just plop down tooling and parts and F-16s will start rolling down the assembly line? Tooling has to be manufactured, set up and inspected, you have to train people on how to manufacture the aircraft and as mentioned a learning curve before viable assets can be delivered in a timely manner. We're still looking at months if everything goes perfectly.

I worked on/ around several production lines (P-3, L1011, F-117A and the B-2) and it takes time to not only set things up properly, but to train people and to have a supply chain up and running to supply the production line. Even at the end of the P-3 production, we were still running into part shortages on long lead time items because of variations of the production flow, and that aircraft produced over 30 years!
Mielec is aircraft factory with 80 years of tradition - this is not workshop building tractors and blessed with all knowledge coming out from LOCKMART. They have build first UH60 airframe in less than 6 months after Sikorski took possession of the factory. I think first F-16 fuselage assembly delivery to Mobile assembly line is planned before end of this year and Lockheed decided to transfer this work to Poland not because they do like bigos and polish beer but because US supply chain caused 2 years delay with delivery of new F16 to the customers.
:D and yes i'm impressed with your experience - mine (except 12 years in aircraft maintenance) is limited just to A380, A350, A320NEO, B747-8, B787, A321P2F, and couple others programs and i'm still learning how to work effectively in my profession. By the way i've heard about all structural problems of P3 i would say this airplane is "oversustained" - decision related to replacement should be hammered when P-7 proposal have been presented to USN more than 40 years ago, not pushing for P-8 which is, in my personal opinion, inferior MPA airplane design vs proposed one. Also i'm aware of all bureaucracy in aviation/defense industry - but as any artificially created obstacle it may be bypassed - if political will exist. Here in Poland especially in military circles we have impression of being treated as third grade allay - first grade is Israel (in many cases uncle Sam is paying for their hardware out of yours - us taxpayer's pocket), 1.5 is UK, tier 2 are "old" NATO members, and than tier 3 - ex WP tail. Considering revealed cost/delivery schedules i would say rule here is - sell with biggest possible margin and delay delivery as much as you possibly will be able to negotiate. It is understandable trade practice - but all this hardware is sold through FMS mechanism as a government to government deal - shouldn't be national/international security more important factor than earning couple $$? Could be this kind of policy leads us directly to the Ukraine like situation?

Mielec is aircraft factory with 80 years of tradition - this is not workshop building tractors and blessed with all knowledge coming out from LOCKMART. They have build first UH60 airframe in less than 6 months after Sikorski took possession of the factory. I think first F-16 fuselage assembly delivery to Mobile assembly line is planned before end of this year and Lockheed decided to transfer this work to Poland not because they do like bigos and polish beer but because US supply chain caused 2 years delay with delivery of new F16 to the customers.
:D and yes i'm impressed with your experience - mine (except 12 years in aircraft maintenance) is limited just to A380, A350, A320NEO, B747-8, B787, A321P2F, and couple others programs and i'm still learning how to work effectively in my profession. By the way i've heard about all structural problems of P3 i would say this airplane is "oversustained" - decision related to replacement should be hammered when P-7 proposal have been presented to USN more than 40 years ago, not pushing for P-8 which is, in my personal opinion, inferior MPA airplane design vs proposed one. Also i'm aware of all bureaucracy in aviation/defense industry - but as any artificially created obstacle it may be bypassed - if political will exist. Here in Poland especially in military circles we have impression of being treated as third grade allay - first grade is Israel (in many cases uncle Sam is paying for their hardware out of yours - us taxpayer's pocket), 1.5 is UK, tier 2 are "old" NATO members, and than tier 3 - ex WP tail. Considering revealed cost/delivery schedules i would say rule here is - sell with biggest possible margin and delay delivery as much as you possibly will be able to negotiate. It is understandable trade practice - but all this hardware is sold through FMS mechanism as a government to government deal - shouldn't be national/international security more important factor than earning couple $$? Could be this kind of policy leads us directly to the Ukraine like situation?

What's wrong with the P-8 that makes it inferior? It's a great platform and its capabilities are excellent.

I'm well aware of Mielec (great company) but you proved my point - it took six months to get set up to build the first UH60 airframe. How much time did it take to get everything set up before the first rivet was bucked?

And earlier I did mention the supply chain - the F-16 WAS NOT set up in a war time production mode. There was a steady pace on what was required, customers and acquisition of certain components, LMCO will slow down to line to maintain key personnel and to have the supply chain "catch up" when they can. Some items like engines, avionics and even the landing gear are "Government Furnished Equipment" and the US government supplies those items. For foreign customers, they sometimes purchase those items and their orders will take a back seat to US "GFE" so you see how this can get complicated.

:D and yes i'm impressed with your experience - mine (except 12 years in aircraft maintenance) is limited just to A380, A350, A320NEO, B747-8, B787, A321P2F, and couple others programs and i'm still learning how to work effectively in my profession. By the way i've heard about all structural problems of P3 i would say this airplane is "oversustained" - decision related to replacement should be hammered when P-7 proposal have been presented to USN more than 40 years ago, not pushing for P-8 which is, in my personal opinion, inferior MPA airplane design vs proposed one. Also i'm aware of all bureaucracy in aviation/defense industry - but as any artificially created obstacle it may be bypassed - if political will exist.
Thank you - and I see you've been around as well. :) I worked extensively on the P-3, first at the factory and later in the USNR. Towards the end of my career with Lockheed I was actually on the P-7 program, the acronym for the P-7 program was "LRAACA," we used to joke that it meant "falling stone" in Spanish! The program was very mis-managed and it was no surprise when it got cancelled.
Here in Poland especially in military circles we have impression of being treated as third grade allay - first grade is Israel (in many cases uncle Sam is paying for their hardware out of yours - us taxpayer's pocket), 1.5 is UK, tier 2 are "old" NATO members, and than tier 3 - ex WP tail. Considering revealed cost/delivery schedules i would say rule here is - sell with biggest possible margin and delay delivery as much as you possibly will be able to negotiate. It is understandable trade practice - but all this hardware is sold through FMS mechanism as a government to government deal - shouldn't be national/international security more important factor than earning couple $$? Could be this kind of policy leads us directly to the Ukraine like situation?
I can see your point about being a third grade ally. When I was on the Australian P-3 program, some of their folks felt the same way. Israel will always seem like the #1 procurer because of their unique situation. I agree about national security with regards to all of our allies but in the bigger picture money will dictate priorities unless the highest levels of the US government steps in and tells the contractor which foreign customer to prioritize. So far the only country I'm aware of is Israel.

That's the problem with the Military-Industrial Complex. It's first purpose is to insure profitability.
PS: You get a like just for mentioning bigos and Polish beer.
"Military-Industrial Complex" An obsolete term - 50 years ago yes, but look how many large defense contractors are left. I've worked half of my career as a government contractor and I can tell you the "tail doesn't wag the dog." Read "Skunk Works" by Ben Rich and you'll get a feel on how things really work
What's wrong with the P-8 that makes it inferior? It's a great platform and its capabilities are excellent.
My biggest beef with the P-8 is it uses a sensor instead of the traditional Magnetic Anomaly Detection (MAD) system which Boeing says is better, I've heard the opposite. It has a surface search radar that has had issues and I believe it's because it operates at higher altitudes than the P-3. I think the P-8 is a good surveillance aircraft, but as far as hunting and killing subs, you need an aircraft that can loiter for long periods of time at lower altitudes and maintain a modern version of the "Julie-Jezebel" system along with a strong surface search radar. The P-8 does have an impressive armament package.

"Military-Industrial Complex" An obsolete term - 50 years ago yes, but look how many large defense contractors are left. I've worked half of my career as a government contractor and I can tell you the "tail doesn't wag the dog." Read "Skunk Works" by Ben Rich and you'll get a feel on how things really work

My biggest beef with the P-8 is it uses a sensor instead of the traditional Magnetic Anomaly Detection (MAD) system which Boeing says is better, I've heard the opposite. It has a surface search radar that has had issues and I believe it's because it operates at higher altitudes than the P-3. I think the P-8 is a good surveillance aircraft, but as far as hunting and killing subs, you need an aircraft that can loiter for long periods of time at lower altitudes and maintain a modern version of the "Julie-Jezebel" system along with a strong surface search radar. The P-8 does have an impressive armament package.

I think the P-8 has usual teething problems, but its a solid proven platform and extremely capable. The P-8 does operate a lower altitudes as well.

I know, I know, I'm biased.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back