"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

.... I think you'll see a lot of public and private money coming in for the rebuild....
As for my part, I am not aware of any foreign investor, be it public or private - ever having invested into a war-prone zone, additionally facing a political unsafe outlook.
Aside from receiving sums that don't really help the respective party, but simply ease the conscience of those providing funds.

Therefore Putin's "special military operation" isn't just simply about conquering Ukraine in total or parts of it, but to make sure that Ukraine via a military confrontation is and stays additionally devastated for as long as it doesn't oblige him, or doesn't provide for a Russia friendly government.

So sorry to say, so far Putin's policy looks extremely successful, but he certainly needs to control his military losses along the path he chose.
Undoubtedly IMO, Putin's initial expectations were certainly higher.

Last edited:
There are some unusual things going on in the background here in the US.

Something I noticed early-on in the conflict is a similarity between the US midwest the Ukraine farmlands, farming towns, and the farmers themselves including their attitudes. The images of the farming communities could almost be from the 1950-1980 period here in Minnesota - except the Ukraine farmers have larger and better tractors than we had then.

The similarity I have noticed seems to be contributing to a feeling of empathy/sympathy and of being on the same team, or at least in the same league, among Minnesotans for the Ukrainians.

This may not sound like much, but over the last few weeks I have become aware of some amazing potential effects of these feelings.

There is for example, a privately held company company based here in Minnesota that is in the process of setting aside $100,000,000 for aid in rebuilding Ukraine (if they succeed in defeating the Russians) or for helping relocate Ukrainians that are displaced to other countries (including here).

Another example is a large construction company that operates and is based here in the Midwest. It has begun setting aside materials for building quality prefab houses. They are negotiating for production of long lead items and with appliance manufacturers for increased production of items needed for habitability (ie ovens, refrigerators, heaters, toilets, etc). The intent is to send them (free) to the Ukraine after the war to help in the rebuild.

Another large size company based here in the Midwest is starting to set aside upto 90% of its profits this year and next year, for use in rebuilding in Ukraine (I am talking about billions of dollars assuming the economy does not tank).

A worldwide logistics chain is working on long range planning for coordinating the shipping of material for rebuilding Ukraine - at the request of private companies who have expressed intent to help with the rebuilding and supply of materials.

All of the above is based on private initiatives and has not been initiated by the US government.

I have not seen such a large scale sameness of view in my lifetime, although some of the past disaster relief efforts had some of the same aspects. It reminds me of descriptions I have read about the attitude in much of the US population toward Great Britain during WWII.

Here in Canada we have tens of thousands of citizens of Ukrainian descent, including my wife. There's a lot of sympathy and support for Ukraine here. These are people who look like us, live lives we can relate to.

Here in Canada we have tens of thousands of citizens of Ukrainian descent, including my wife. There's a lot of sympathy and support for Ukraine here. These are people who look like us, live lives we can relate to.

We have a lot here as well in the St. Louis area. My neighbors are Ukrainian that immigrated with their kids back in 2014 from Ukraine. They have a huge Ukrainian flag flying. 2 houses down from them is another Ukrainian family.

It's actually a very international area, which I like culturally. We have a very large German, Polish, and Bosnian population. 8000 Bosnian refugees immigrated to St. Louis back during the war in the 90s. Lots of good restaurants have sprung up since.

1] The Illusion of Russian and Chinese Aggression Around the World
2] Tucker Carlson: Elizabeth Warren's latest plan to make herself more powerful
3] Scott Ritter - Is America truly helping Ukraine?

4] Overthrow: 100 Years of U.S. Meddling & Regime Change, from Iran to Nicaragua to Hawaii to Cuba

Last edited:
As for my part, I am not aware of any foreign investor, be it public or private - ever having invested into a war-prone zone, additionally facing a political unsafe outlook.

Look at Iraq -- American investments started flowing almost immediately, and now it's international ... and they ain't living in Beverly Hills.

If this is Putin's plan, he's dumber than he appears at first glance. Who will line up to help him rebuild Russia's economy? China? Sure, if he doesn't mind being a vassal.

I'll take "whataboutism" for a True Daily Double, Alex.

Also, you should be aware that when you cite Tucker Carlson, you are impeaching your credibility immediately. No one with half-a-brain listens to that idiot, and you shouldn't either.

Quite the selection of Pro-Putler propaganda. Are you saying you believe this drek? Or are you offering it up for the derision it deserves because even where correct, it is inapplicable?

I admit that I wasn't expecting anyone to find this posting funny

The first video is former Virginia State Senator, Richard H. Black. I've actually met the guy and he's a charming gentleman whose military service I strongly respect. HOWEVER...in this case, he's presenting an incredibly partial picture of reality.

His characterization of US foreign policy as overthrowing governments that don't agree with us, and contrasting it with China's approach of just trying to make a buck is wholly inaccurate. His comparison of the numbers of US and UK overseas bases compared to Russia and China is also disingenuous. Most of our overseas bases are there at the direct invitation of the host nation because they want the US presence as a stabilizing factor in the region.

America has a highly-nuanced foreign policy that strives to uphold principles of freedom and democracy. Yes, China invests heavily overseas but it comes with all sorts of strings attached. For example, China built a new HQ for the African Union but it had to be completed by Chinese contractors and one floor of the building had to be set aside for Chinese "business" use. It was later discovered that the entire building, including the IT infrastructure, was bugged.

My other frustration with a lot of this rhetoric is that US nationalism constantly seeks to criticize overseas investment, presenting it as a zero-sum game where investment overseas means the US can't invest in US-based "stuff". This false dichotomy completely ignores the fact that deterring autocratic regimes and bolstering democracy and capitalism are directly aligned with US national interests. The US can't maintain its presence as a superpower if it simply retreats into its shell and doesn't seek to influence the status quo in the US interest. Turning inwards will mark the death-knell for US influence overseas, and that absolutely WILL encourage autocrats everywhere.

I haven't looked at the other 2 videos but I did want to comment on Black's remarks since, as a former USMC Colonel, his remarks do carry some weight.

Last edited:
The first video is former Virginia State Senator, Richard H. Black. I've actually met the guy and he's a charming gentleman whose military service I strongly respect. HOWEVER...in this case, he's presenting an incredibly partial picture of reality.
He might be nice in person but he has a history of making questionable decisions/comments such as this from 2014:

Users who are viewing this thread