"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An interesting bit of info:

The French Foreign Legion currently has just over 700 members (out of 9000 total, or ~7.8%) who are current or former Ukrainian citizens. Recently the French Government has had to stop a number of FFL soldiers from traveling to the Ukraine area. Most of these soldiers were doing so in order to join the Ukraine armed forces in one form or another. There have also been a number of desertions, and it is believed most intend to travel to Ukraine.

Last week, the Commander of the French Foreign Legion made an address to his Ukrainian legionnaires and their families.

The following is a transcript of the address:

LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA (The Legion is our homeland). It is with these words that you, the legionnaires of Ukrainian origin or of the region in particular, wear the White kepi: "We swear to serve France with honor and fidelity".

I wrote this to you just one year ago in our Kepi Blanc magazine "In the name of Fidelity": Legionnaires are not stateless and the Legion does not ask them in any way to disavow their homeland, let alone to fight it.

But the Legion does not hand out causes to fight for, no matter how beautiful they may be. It was created for the service of France, welcoming volunteers. Our honor is not to choose our causes but to serve the mission which is sacred.

Your loyalty as a legionnaire is the heart of our commitment. It is for the time you have decided in your contract, unsurpassable.

Is loyalty painful? The history of the Legion for almost 200 years has been filled with pain but honor, the one that remains above all else. One of our elders said, "You can ask a lot of a soldier, especially to die, that's his job. We cannot ask him to cheat, to deny himself, to contradict himself, to lie, to perjure himself."

My dear legionnaires of Ukraine or of the region, concerned by this war, I sympathize with your inner turmoil. Your homeland is bleeding and suffering, your families are affected by this war. Yet, for those few who are tempted to run to where the fire is raging, I tell you that wars are only won if everyone does their job, where they are. As a Legion Father I know I must encourage you in this path of honor: do not perjure yourselves, for yourselves and for the Legion, maintain your service with honor and loyalty.

Who knows if tomorrow your unit will not be engaged, where will you be? You will then be missed by your partner, brother in arms like any legionnaire.

Dear Legion families, some of whom have suffered, be assured of the support of the Foreign Legion. In order to facilitate the safety of families fleeing the conflict zone, I have authorized legionnaires who so desire to travel to a country bordering the Ukraine to collect them.

Please be aware that any legionnaire concerned by this conflict may request the Foreign Legion to help him or her to receive his or her family in an emergency, in compliance with the regulations applicable in France, in particular according to the evolution of the directives concerning the consideration of refugees.

Legion solidarity, a corollary of the legionnaire's total commitment to our country, will thus be able to provide material or administrative assistance to the extent and according to its priorities. In this context, the Legion is working on the establishment of a listening unit to best meet your needs.

Let us be united and responsible for our Foreign Legion.

Interestingly, there are also ~450 Russian-born members of the FFL - none of whom have attempted to travel to the Ukraine area.

Last edited:
I do not remember if any maps of resources in Ukraine have already been posted, so I though I should post these:

Ukraine-Mineral Resources
Ukraine mineral resources.jpg

Ukraine-Crop Production
Ukraine millet production.jpeg

STOCKHOLM, June 13 (Reuters) - Sweden has take important steps to meet Turkey's demands for approving Stockholm's NATO membership application, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Monday during a visit to Sweden.

[...]

"I welcome that Sweden has already started to change its counter-terrorism legislation and that Sweden will ensure that the legal framework for arms export will reflect the future status as a NATO member with new commitments to allies," Stoltenberg said during a press conference with Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson.

[...]

Andersson said Sweden had changed its terrorism laws and was in the process of further tightening.

"From the first of July we will also have even stronger legislation when it comes to the fight against terrorism. So here there are no questions about how strongly Sweden sees (on) terrorism and that we are willing to contribute to the fight against terrorism," she said.

Interesting comment and wording from China:

5 June 2022
Chinese Defence Minister Wei Fenghe reiterated Beijing's position on the crisis. "On the Ukrainian crisis, China has never provided any material support to Russia," he said, adding that it supported peace negotiations and "NATO will have talks with Russia".

STOCKHOLM, June 13 (Reuters) - Sweden has take important steps to meet Turkey's demands for approving Stockholm's NATO membership
The invasion of Ukraine has given political leaders in Sweden the justification and public opinion to take on the KPP. I expect there are those in Swedish law enforcement and national security raising a glass to Turkey. Now, if we can just get the cranberry sauce on side.

Hey Admiral Beez,

re "Which is the real reason Russian wants eastern Ukraine. To steal Ukraine's oil and to prevent the EU from gaining a gas-rich member."

FWIW, I agree that is most likely part of it. I have been wondering if it is a combination of the following factors (not in order of importance).

1. Spite and pride, involving many things, including that Ukraine's (pre-war) living standard was on its way to significantly surpass Russia's in the next few years.
2. Putin and friends, and the oligarchs, may have exploited Russia's own people and economy to its practical limits. Hence they are looking for external material for exploitation. War is, after all, usually good for the economy (as long as your country is not the one being destroyed).
3. To prevent the Ukraine taking a significant amount of Russia's share of trade with Europe (particularly involving Ukraine's growing petroleum industry) - exacerbating item #2 above..
4. Old men in power, old men who's minds are degrading and regressing to wishful thinking about the good old days, and how they could have been a contender if only . . . Also possibly linked to item #1 above, as many old people become fixated on past real or imagined affronts to their real or imagined sensibilities. The apparent willingness of Russia to destroy entire cities and manufacturing centers, and food sources, strikes me as an example of the spite and/or temper tantrum equivalent of "If I can't have it, I will make sure you can't have it either".

I do not buy that Putin is actually ignorant enough to be afraid of NATO in an existential sense. As long as Russia has an effective nuclear arsenal, there is no way that NATO can be a military power based existential threat to Russia - at least not unless it is a suicidal one. And if the West was interested in implementing a MAD scenario there would be no need for comparatively little things like expansion of NATO.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Interesting bit of info:

On 6 June Ukrainian nuclear operator Energoatom announced that the connection between the Zaporizhzhia plant, now part of Russian-held territory in the south, and the UN's nuclear watchdog - the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) - had been restored after a month and a half.

The Russian shelling of the plant -- the largest in Europe -- had sparked international outrage and fears over Ukraine's 15 operational reactors. Energoatom said the Russians had cut off the mobile phone operator at the site on May 30, but the connection with the UN's IAEA had finally been restored on Friday.

The IAEA said this week it was planning to visit the Zaporizhzhia plant to carry out essential safety work. However, Energoatom said that such a trip would legitimize Russia's control of the site, and said a visit would only be possible once Ukraine regained control.

As long as Russia has an effective nuclear arsenal, there is no way that NATO can be a military power based existential threat to Russia...
I disagree. By invading Ukraine Putin has given NATO and the West a backdoor (through their UAF-proxies) to destroy Russia's military whilst nullifying Putin's nuclear option. Without a military to threaten its domestic population and to promote its relevance to the world, Russia's autocratic, corrupt regime is existentially threatened.

That's in part why much of the West is eagerly giving the UAF lethal aid, since we all want a "relatively" risk-free smack at the Russians. The West has contributed to the destruction of over 1,000 tanks, over 3,000 IFVs, at least 50 helicopters, three dozen fighter-bomber aircraft, 350 artillery pieces and over fifteen thousand dead Russia soldiers... all without risking a single NATO or Western soldier. This is an once in a generation opportunity to neuter a threat to world peace and civility. Hell, even the small and largely pacifist Kiwis are jumping to contribute to the great Russia comeuppance of 2022-(25?).

We could argue that NATO-armed Ukrainians defeating Russia and pushing them out of Ukraine is not an existential threat to Russia. But humiliation and deprivation at home was enough to threaten the Tsar and the Politburo into domestic political defeat. Can Putin remain in power if he's pushed out of Ukraine and more than twenty thousand coffins come home?

Last edited:
"...the Ukrainian language, history and religion are made up..."

*palmface*

Russia needs to be reminded that their history comes from the Kyevans - their religion was introduced by Vladimir the Great, who also introduced the Bulgarian's Cyrillic language to Kyevans.

Russia's Peter the Great may have reformed their Cyrillic, but it's not their innovation - it's Bulgarian by way of Ukraine.

Dumbasses...

I really didn't want to believe that in this current situation, that France would slip into it's stereotype, but this is disappointing reading if true.

"France and Belgium stand out as buyers of Russian LNG on the spot market. As the EU is considering stricter sanctions against Russia, France has increased its imports to become the largest buyer of LNG in the world.
I should add that France has refused to comment on the report

Full article

This "betrayal" as the paper puts it will become more widespread as the West and the globe moves closer to stagflation - recession with high inflation. Anybody who lived through the 1970s will remember, and if you don't or did not, Google it.

Maybe they are in a similar situation as Germany, multiple large naturals gas storage facilities were sold to russian or russian-controlled companies and they ran them almost dry since last year. This was a major reason for rather high prices last year and much higher prices this year even before their "special military operation".
Sell the russian bear your small finger and he takes your arm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back