"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, so let's go back to February, when there was some comparisons made between Hitler and Putin and see how it stacks up so far:

1) Hitler launches surprise attack on Russia under the pretenses of eliminating Communism.
Putin launches surprise attack on Ukraine under the pretenses of eliminating Nazism.

2) Hitler's assault on Moscow bogs down and stalls, resulting in a costly retreat.
Putin's assault on Kyiv bogs down and stalls, resulting in a costly retreat.

3) After initial successes, Hitler's army encounters increasing resistance, resulting in a stalled offensive with high losses in men and equipment.
After initial successes, Putin's army encounters increasing resistance, resulting in a stalled offensive with high losses in men and equipment.

4) Hitler's military targets civilians in cities and villages as well as committing attrocities.
Putin's military targets civilians in cities and villages as well as committing atrocities.

5) The German Army suffers from poor supply and logistics.
The Russian Army suffers from poor supply and logistics.

6) Hitler insists that Germany is winning and the state media pumps out all sorts of nonsense to that effect.
Putin insists that Russia is winning and the state media pumps out all sorts of nonsense to that effect.

7) Hitler carries on about "wonder weapons".
Putin carries on about "wonder weapons".

How are we doing so far?

Assassination attempts?

We're told that deNazifying Ukraine is going along swimmingly!

8) Lend Lease, at first slow becomes an avalanche of the best weapons the US and Allies can provide.

Hitler was rabidly anti-communist, and anti-communism was a fundamental plank of Nazi ideology. So I don't think eliminating Communism was a "pretense" - it was one of primary motivators (the others being German nationalism/Lebansraum and anti-semitism) for the invasion of the USSR.

Also, Putin's invasion wasn't really much of a surprise.

Various intelligence agencies (notably the US and the UK) had been warning about Putin's intentions concerning Ukraine for months prior to the invasion. There were various formal meeting and communications trying to warn Russia off an invasion as early as the start of November 2021. I think there was even Western media speculation/informed guesswork about a potential invasion as far back as mid 2021, following the first series of Russian wargames near the Ukrainian border.

And Hitler's operation wasn't much if a surprise, either - as it was (and still is) the largest mass movement of troops in history.

Hitler's anti-communist pretense for invading the Soviet Union was legitimate. Yes, he hated Communists, but he wanted the natural resources that the Soviet Union offered more.

Putin's anti-Nazi pretense is just an attempt to regain former Soviet Union territory.

Of course, both were/are directly interested in the agricultural, mineral and metal resources of the Ukraine region, too.

perfect! i'm waiting for the end of this story...

Did Putin said something along the lines that this war special military operation was to avoid being surrounded by NATO?

The funny/sad thing is I was reading an article that Russia has not been able to fed their own troops either.

After working with Russian troops in Kosovo I am not surprised. They were poorly equipped and fed there too. I had one try and trade me for my winter boots because he was only issued summer ones, and it was brutally cold and snowy.

I think Hitler's overarching strategy was to enable German autarky which required adequate resources and "lebensraum" for the German people. That drove the definition of non-German people as lesser humans who were unworthy to own the land that they had, hence justifying its aggressive capture.

Hitler's message clearly captured a populist--and, obviously, nationalist--sentiment in Germany. There are echoes of similarly populist messages in many countries today...which I find rather frightening. To-date, Putin is the only one who acted militarily on such a populist message. I fear it may not be the last.

Users who are viewing this thread