"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Russians rejoicing that, without Russian gas, EU citizens will freeze at +19 C in their apartments this winter (mine is currently at 20.5 and I have yet to use heating :smirk:)

Edit: Apparently the video is from 2019, but still ....

Last edited:

KYIV, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Ukraine's military said on Thursday Russia had pulled some troops from towns on the opposite bank of the Dnipro River from Kherson city, the first official Ukrainian report of a Russian withdrawal on what is now the main front line in the south.

The statement gave only limited details and made no mention of any Ukrainian forces having crossed the Dnipro. Ukrainian officials also stressed that Russia had intensified shelling across the river, knocking out power again in Kherson where electricity had only begun to be restored nearly three weeks after Russian troops vacated the city and fled across the river.

Since Russia abandoned Kherson last month, nine months into its invasion of Ukraine, the river now forms the entire southern stretch of the front.

Russia has already told civilians to leave towns within 15 km of the river and withdrawn its civilian administration from the city of Nova Kakhovka on the bank. Ukrainian officials have previously said Russia pulled back some artillery near the river to safer positions further away, but until now had stopped short of saying Russian forces were quitting towns.

Here's an interesting article in response to those who argue for a negotiated peace settlement for the invasion. The paragraph that struck me as the crux, and which resonates completely with me, is this one:

The more apt comparison is a school shooting. When an active shooter is victimizing schoolchildren and teachers, there is nothing to negotiate: every life is in imminent danger. Russian troops are killing civilians as well as soldiers in Ukraine. Its cities and towns—including apartment buildings, schools, hospitals, train stations, and nuclear power facilities—face the daily prospect of indiscriminate bombardment. With temperatures plunging, Russia is systematically destroying the power infrastructure. Ukraine's crisis is, in short, a geopolitical "Uvalde," the one distinction being that the Ukrainians say they can expel the Russians themselves if provided sufficient weapons and funding.

Last edited:
The more apt comparison is a school shooting. When an active shooter is victimizing schoolchildren and teachers, there is nothing to negotiate: every life is in imminent danger.
You reminded me of that recent school shooting in Texas, where those entrusted to defend the civilians waited outside, reticent to enter lest they themselves be endangered or the situation made somehow worse.

You reminded me of that recent school shooting in Texas, where those entrusted to defend the civilians waited outside, reticent to enter lest they themselves be endangered or the situation made somehow worse.

Exactly, thus the Uvalde reference in the article. I think it's spot-on, that when we see an active-shooter event unfolding, doing nothing is not an option.

Here's an interesting article in response to those who argue for a negotiated peace settlement for the invasion. The paragraph that struck me as most the crux, and which resonates completely with me, is this one:

The more apt comparison is a school shooting. When an active shooter is victimizing schoolchildren and teachers, there is nothing to negotiate: every life is in imminent danger. Russian troops are killing civilians as well as soldiers in Ukraine. Its cities and towns—including apartment buildings, schools, hospitals, train stations, and nuclear power facilities—face the daily prospect of indiscriminate bombardment. With temperatures plunging, Russia is systematically destroying the power infrastructure. Ukraine's crisis is, in short, a geopolitical "Uvalde," the one distinction being that the Ukrainians say they can expel the Russians themselves if provided sufficient weapons and funding.

Isn't it sad that we lost one of our online family members here over this topic. The Basket was a big advocate for suing for peace early in the war. He got pretty heated over it and left. Has not been back since.

Isn't it sad that we lost one of our online family members here over this topic. The Basket was a big advocate for suing for peace early in the war. He got pretty heated over it and left. Has not been back since.

I didn't realize that was the reason for his absence, though I knew his stance on the war. Sure do miss him -- we didn't always see eye-to-eye but he was a real character.

I didn't realize that was the reason for his absence, though I knew his stance on the war. Sure do miss him -- we didn't always see eye-to-eye but he was a real character.

Agreed, I had no issue with him on a personal level. And like all families, you don't always agree, but I still liked the guy.

He may have had other reasons, he never said why he was leaving, but since that was his last post I am assuming.

Agreed, I had no issue with him on a personal level. And like all families, you don't always agree, but I still liked the guy.

He may have had other reasons, he never said why he was leaving, but since that was his last post I am assuming.

Understood. I hope he sees fit to come back, he was a hoot and also had good points to add in his inimitable style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back