"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Putin has concentrated his power so much that, if Russia suffers defeat here, an implosion strikes me as possible. Not talking about at the periphery as Simon mostly is here, but literally Russia itself coming apart at the seams.
He does cover that angle.

Indeed he does, but it get short shrift in my opinion. To wit, if Russia loses in Ukraine, peripheral wars will be the least of the world's worry. Russia itself falling apart would be much more devastating, and it requires planning all the more for its potential fallout.
Agreed. As the video makes clear, a civil war in Russia itself would be a different order of magnitude than Yugoslavia's agonies. And that's without even factoring in the 50-odd hundred nuclear weapons that would be up for grabs. It's a very sobering thought

Given the latest from the Pootin and his lapdog Lavrov I think it is about time some special forces extracted and detained some, preferably senior, Wagner mercenaries and delivered them to the International Criminal Court in the Hague for war crimes trials.

As mercenaries they may or may not fall under the Geneva convention but even so delivering them to the Hague should be accepted as these crims are working way outside the Convention so should be treated as crims instead of captured combatants.

PS - for our US members having a poo is the English equivalent of the US having a crap.

Indeed he does, but it get short shrift in my opinion. To wit, if Russia loses in Ukraine, peripheral wars will be the least of the world's worry. Russia itself falling apart would be much more devastating, and it requires planning all the more for its potential fallout.
Given the time available I think it does cover the issue sufficiently. The prospect of Russia itself disintegrating is a big issue alone. One could spend hours there alone especially when one factors in all the consequences and implications.

At least when the USSR fell apart there was still a strongish central power in the form of Russia. If Russia were to split up though I am not sure one would see the various political divisions filling the gap.

Would we see local warlords? Oligarchs? Would the likes of NATO, China or others need to move in to secure weapons etc? Would make the likes of Yugoslavia, the USSR and Afghanistan all look like a walk in the park…

Given the time available I think it does cover the issue sufficiently. The prospect of Russia itself disintegrating is a big issue alone. One could spend hours there alone especially when one factors in all the consequences and implications.

At least when the USSR fell apart there was still a strongish central power in the form of Russia. If Russia were to split up though I am not sure one would see the various political divisions filling the gap.

Would we see local warlords? Oligarchs? Would the likes of NATO, China or others need to move in to secure weapons etc? Would make the likes of Yugoslavia, the USSR and Afghanistan all look like a walk in the park…
I will hope that the US would find some way to, on way or another, seize the Russian nukes. Period.

If Russia were to split up though I am not sure one would see the various political divisions filling the gap.
Let's consider the collapse of the British Empire post WW2. There's hardly a single former post WW1 British colony (excluding the Dominions) that almost from the day of post WW2 independence onwards didn't fall into sectarian violence, military-led coups, religious extremism and power vacuum chaos. Some, like India, Malaya, Singapore and most of the Caribbean found their way. But only now, 75 years after the beginning of the Empire's collapse do we see some glimmer of West-like democratic states in Africa and Asia, while former colonies like Burma/Myanmar, Pakistan, Nigeria, Aden/Yemen, South Sudan and even once stable independents like Kenya have become dangerous, beset by violence, often ruled by autocrats, juntas, mullahs or gangsters. When Russia collapses there will be a similar 75 years of trouble.

Last edited:
Given the latest from the Pootin and his lapdog Lavrov I think it is about time some special forces extracted and detained some, preferably senior, Wagner mercenaries and delivered them to the International Criminal Court in the Hague for war crimes trials.

As mercenaries they may or may not fall under the Geneva convention but even so delivering them to the Hague should be accepted as these crims are working way outside the Convention so should be treated as crims instead of captured combatants.

PS - for our US members having a poo is the English equivalent of the US having a crap.

They're functioning as Russian forces and under control of the Russian government. Mercenary forces have existed for thousands of years; there isn't some loophole to exempt them from internationally accepted laws of war.

Another Russian tycoon does a Peter Pan out of a hotel window...this time in India (and another member of the tycoon's group died on Friday):

Even in the worst novel, the writer would come up with a more varied script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back