"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now, this being an aviation forum after all, any guess to which nation will take the first step in delivering (rather than promising) frontline fixed-wing combat aircraft to Ukraine?

Back in 2021 France was planning to offer (for sale) the Rafale to Ukraine, but I'm not sure if France would make the first move in donated strike aircraft, though as a solely French aircraft it's diplomatically a good pick. The Challenger was easier for Britain to donate because the tank and its armament were entirely British-made, avoiding interference like Germany has placed on countries that would otherwise donate their Leopard 2s. Britain is not so abled with the pan-national Eurofighter. Same goes for SAAB, being dependent on US systems.

Last edited:
Posted before, but Ukraine was close to a deal back in 2021.

DNIPRO, Ukraine, Jan 15 (Reuters) - Ukraine said there was little hope of pulling any more survivors from the rubble of an apartment block in the city of Dnipro on Sunday, a day after the building was hit during a major Russian missile attack, with dozens of people expected to have died.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said a child was among 25 people confirmed dead so far and 73 people had been wounded, including 13 children. Thirty-nine people had been rescued but a further 43 were missing, he said on the Telegram messaging app.

Infuriating.

... and:

Jan 15 (Reuters) - Three people were killed and 13 injured in an ammunition explosion in Russia's Belgorod region, RIA Novosti news agency reported on Sunday, citing local emergency services.

Authorities said earlier on Sunday that 10 Russian servicemen were injured in the blast in a cultural centre in the Belgorod region, which borders Ukraine and is the location of several Russian military bases and training grounds.

The 112 and Baza Telegram channels, which are associated with Russia's law enforcement agencies, said the dead and injured were Russian conscripts who were called up to fight in Ukraine under Russia's mobilisation drive, announced last September.

They reported that the blast occurred after a soldier mishandled a grenade in a local cultural centre that had been converted to store ammunition.

At least they seem to be making progress on the smoking problem.

Last edited:
One advantage the Chieftain omitted is the diplomatic, in that being entirely British made and armed, the UK can send the Challenger wherever they want without waiting for the tank-shy in Berlin to allow its donation to Ukraine.
Maybe, though his highlighting the logistical aspects/challenges is more relevant. Ultimately, I believe this is meant to be a political move to see if doing such will force Poland and others.

I find this interesting:

The reason I find it interesting, is because the M1126 was developed to fill the hole that the failed M2 Sergeant York left. The original combat component system was supposed to be the M1 Abrams, M2 Sgt. York and M3 Bradley.

Since then, the Abrams and Bradley worked in conjunction with the Stryker as a component system.
Now Ukraine is getting Bradleys and possibly Stykers.

So...guess what might be next?

They cant ship their oil. Their fleet inst large enough. That will strangle them slowly.
I don't think Russia ever depended on a domestically-flagged oil tanker fleet. There's no naval blockade of Russia - even if NATO and Ukraine/NATO-sympathetic nations ban their ships, merchant shipping can come and go. I assume foreign tankers will take the oil via the four main Western Russian ports (Primorsk, Ust-Luga, Murmansk and Novorossiysk).

"Panama was the world's largest flag state for oil tankers, with 528 of the vessels in its registry. Six other flag states had more than 200 registered oil tankers: Liberia (464), Singapore (355), China (252), Russia (250), the Marshall Islands (234) and the Bahamas (209)."

AIUI, Panama, Liberia and China haven't banned Russian oil shipments. Not sure about the others.

Users who are viewing this thread