"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Damn, this is sad, especially all the kids. Thoughts on if accident (article suggests pilot visibility was an issue), sabotage or shootdown?

A low flying helicopter carrying not only the Interior Minister but also the Deputy Interior Minister would present an enticing target for the FSB.

Last edited:
A couple days ago we where comenting about Switzerland blocking some unknown weapons from Spain

Apparently Italy and Spain want to deliver Spada 2000/Aspide 2000 air defense systems to Ukraine, but Switzerland blocks it, because one of the control panels was made by Contraves in Switzerland.

Gunnery training at Graf is good. Hopefully they're also doing maneuver training at Hohenfels as well. Preferably teaching their helicopters close air support as part of their combined arms tactics.

Gunnery training at Graf is good. Hopefully they're also doing maneuver training at Hohenfels as well. Preferably teaching their helicopters close air support as part of their combined arms tactics.
I wonder what the ratio of AFU combat troops are outside of Ukraine training. It must be at least a thousand at a time.

Operation Interflex aims to train at least 10,000, with 7,400 trained as of November 2022.

I wonder what the ratio of AFU combat troops are outside of Ukraine training. It must be at least a thousand at a time.

Operation Interflex aims to train at least 10,000, with 7,400 trained as of November 2022.

Thanks for the link to Op INTERFLEX. I was also struck by the results of the preceding Op ORBITAL which was initiated in 2015 and had trained around 22,000 Ukrainian soldiers at the time it was wound up in Feb 2022. That's 7 years' commitment by the UK to helping Ukraine defend itself. I know the US and other nations have done similar things, no doubt with the US carrying the lion's share of the load.

I particularly liked the feedback on the training from the Ukrainian commander. Russians attacked a Ukrainian position and some defending soldiers took cover but a group of 10 stood their ground and took the fight to the Russians. Their actions encouraged other platoon members to return to their positions and join the fight. When the Russian attack was repulsed, the commander asked the 10 soldiers why they acted in that way...because that's the way they were trained in the UK.

While we often focus on the materiel contributions (guns, tanks, artillery etc), the impact of such training programmes should not be underestimated. The training is helping the Ukrainian soldiers apply better tactics which, in itself, is a force multiplier.

This is awesome stuff. Hats off to all those, from every nation, involved in these training efforts.

I have to say I'm impressed at the speed with which Germany has addressed its dependence on Russian energy sources. That said, the devil is in the details of what is counted in or out of Russian-provided "energy" and what is meant by "reliant." Regardless, it's good to see our European partners finding alternative sources for fuel. The relatively mild winter, while bad for skiers, is certainly helping reduce energy consumption.

A couple days ago we where comenting about Switzerland blocking some unknown weapons from Spain

Apparently Italy and Spain want to deliver Spada 2000/Aspide 2000 air defense systems to Ukraine, but Switzerland blocks it, because one of the control panels was made by Contraves in Switzerland.

I wonder what decisions like these will d to Swiss arms and component sales.

I was thinking precisely the same thing, Thump. At what point does "neutrality" start to become favouritism to one of the combatants? If I was a major weapons system supplier, I'd be telling the Swiss Government in no uncertain terms that their legal weapons exports will in no way be constrained by a component manufacturer. Either get onboard, get out of the way, or deal with the consequences of your defence industry not getting contracts in the future.

I was thinking precisely the same thing, Thump. At what point does "neutrality" start to become favouritism to one of the combatants? If I was a major weapons system supplier, I'd be telling the Swiss Government in no uncertain terms that their legal weapons exports will in no way be constrained by a component manufacturer. Either get onboard, get out of the way, or deal with the consequences of your defence industry not getting contracts in the future.

Right, at a certain point they will either have to accept that their curtailments must be reduced or eliminated, or their arms and component sales will be reduced, if not eliminated.

That may even be supported (though I'm admittedly not sure) by understanding where they have allowed their arms or components to be used. For instance, the Saudi air force inflicting horrific bombing in Yemen -- are there any Swiss components in those planes? If such comes to light, it could make their refusals here look all the worse politically, and force a change via that vector.

I definitely lack the info to answer the questions we both have, but I believe that such info could be relevant to future Swiss arms sales. No nation would want to labor under such hindrances, I'd think.

I'm thinking a big loser in terms of future arms sales, beyond Russia of course where the world now knows their kit is shite, are the Germans. I'd be thinking again of buying Leopard 2 tanks for instance, when essentially the same tank can be bought from South Korea as the K2 and soon to be produced as the K2PL in Poland.

When this war is over and Ukraine needs to streamline and replace their hodgepodge mix of donated arms, I expect they'll stay away from German or anything multinational out of Europe like Eurofighter. The Ukrainians won't forget the lost offensive opportunities and lost lands and men due to Germany obstructing Ukraine's neighbours from providing Leopards.

The Ukrainian Armed Forces of 2035 will be armed by a combination of US made, domestically produced (both licensed and indigenously designed) and non-European weapon systems. I give South Korea strong odds, with a small poke to the Australians and perhaps given our strong cultural ties, Canada.

This prewar example show Canada's defence connections with Ukraine.

Last edited:
"Microprocessor Q19 in the Tracking Radar RF switching unit, circuit board CB13 is manufactured in the USA in a fab owned by one of our Swiss companies, hence we hereby prohibit re-export of this weapon system by any country possessing it to any country engaged in active warfare. This decision is final."

Last edited:

MOSCOW, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, an ally of Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin, warned NATO on Thursday that the defeat of Russia in Ukraine could trigger a nuclear war.

Striking a similar tone at what he described as an anxious time for the country, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said trying to destroy Russia would mean the end of the world.

Since Russia invaded Ukraine, Medvedev has repeatedly raised the threat of a nuclear apocalypse, but his admission now of the possibility of Russia's defeat indicates the level of Moscow's concern over increased Western weapons deliveries to Ukraine.

Scared folk often say stupid things. I think Putin realizes he's made a historic mistake. Russia will be defeated, and that will end Putin's regime -- and perhaps Russia as we know it today as it falls apart into breakaways and civil strife and a power struggle.

Medvedev's threats, however, won't change anything. Russia will lose, barring some incredible misfortune.

MOSCOW, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, an ally of Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin, warned NATO on Thursday that the defeat of Russia in Ukraine could trigger a nuclear war.

Striking a similar tone at what he described as an anxious time for the country, the head of the Russian Orthodox Church said trying to destroy Russia would mean the end of the world.

Since Russia invaded Ukraine, Medvedev has repeatedly raised the threat of a nuclear apocalypse, but his admission now of the possibility of Russia's defeat indicates the level of Moscow's concern over increased Western weapons deliveries to Ukraine.

Scared folk often say stupid things. I think Putin realizes he's made a historic mistake. Russia will be defeated, and that will end Putin's regime -- and perhaps Russia as we know it today as it falls apart into breakaways and civil strife and a power struggle.

Medvedev's threats, however, won't change anything. Russia will lose, barring some incredible misfortune.

Plain bragging, they have nukes, we have them too and they know it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back