"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MOSCOW, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, an ally of Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin, warned NATO on Thursday that the defeat of Russia in Ukraine could trigger a nuclear war.
Oh here we go again, with the "we have nukes!" thing.

Russia issuing the periodic nuclear threat has damn-near become a drinking game and even has it's own wiki page:

It's incredible, in facing the massive Russian AF that the Ukrainian Air Force has any aircraft left. The fail of Russia to gain air superiority with their massive numerical advantage will go down in history.
That is something that puzzled me from the very beginning. I remember having lunch with some coworkers on May 1 and of course we where talking about the brand new war. At some point I made a comment about how incompetent Russian AF was, in the sense that they did no had Air superiority yet. I even remember adding something on the line of ... "Unfortunately its a matter of 1 or 2 months before they do, by sheer attrition, no matter how incompetent they are."

It seems I underestimated Ukrainians and overestimated Russia by several orders of magnitude.

It always struck me as a sign of almost desperation. If they keep having to make themselves feel better by threatening the one thing that will end literally anything. Then they cannot have the any deep confidence in the future, as it currently stands.

Right now I personally believe that Ukraine will not fall, but it hasn't the weapons needed to throw Russia out of its captured lands.

The one thing that no one seems to be talking about any more is giving the Ukraine Airforce the aircraft it needs. If one side can dominate the air, then the punishing artillery barrages will stop. A lot of the artillery is still towed and the will be really vulnerable to airpower.

Helicopters would make a huge difference and the USA and its allies must have scores of UH1 and AH1 helicopters sitting in storage. They are mechanically fairly simple, reliable and still today very dangerous against the 1960-1980 equipment which form the vast majority of the Russian army.

The one thing that no one seems to be talking about any more is giving the Ukraine Airforce the aircraft it needs. Helicopters would make a huge difference and the USA and its allies must have scores of UH1 and AH1 helicopters sitting in storage.
It's noteworthy that the only western-designed manned military aircraft thus far provided to Ukraine are a trio of obsolete Westland Sea King from Britain.

That's it. Beyond some Aero L-39 Albatros that Ukraine purchased pre-war from the Czechs, there's been nothing from the USA or anywhere else for that matter. I can understand why F-16s and Apaches need in-depth training and prep before going to Ukraine, but surely the Ukrainians can quickly acclimatize themselves to utility helicopters and light attack trainers?

Last edited:
I find it interesting how there was talk of Bulgaria and Macedonia providing Su-25s to Ukraine.

In Macedonia's case, they neither confirm or deny it, but no longer have Su-25s on hand.

In Bulgaria's case, they claimed they did months ago, then all of a sudden, they claim they didn't. Their inventory even showed the Frogfoot no longer in inventory late last year - then all of a sudden, their wiki page was edited three days ago showing the Su-25 back in inventory about the same time their MoD's press release stating that they never did.

The interesting part, though, is that the Su-25s had to come from somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back