"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They can without permission -- they just won't get American support in terms of spare parts and tech support. However, they've said they're "willing", not "doing", and that's a big distinction.
If said systems/platforms are ITAR controlled and/or supplied under FMS they will require US permission to transfer. Failure to do this will anger the US Govt which then puts said countries at risk of not getting US supplied items in the future.

Last edited:
ITAR...most definitely a four-letter word!
Or acronym...International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)...;). It isn't that hard to understand or work with once you understand and appreciate it.

FMS is somewhat similar and certainly has overlaps though it does have its own 'language'.

If said systems/platforms are ITAR controlled and/or supplied under FMS they will require US permission to transfer. Failure to do this will anger the US Govt which then puts said countries at risk of not getting US supplied items in the future.

Right, that's my point. Point in case, Poland is talking about giving Leo IIs to Ukraine and Germany be damned. That will likely cut them off from German arms in the future. But they can still do it if they so desire, and they've got US and South Korean tanks in the pipeline, so what's Schulz going to do?

Netherlands, not so much, given their reliance on F-16s and lack of a ready replacement; but the principle is the same even if the practicality is not.

While Russian deficiencies have been put on display in this war, ignoring Russian intentions would not be smart money, in my view. They won't come attacking NATO, but just the fact that they thought this invasion acceptable marks them as a threat even if we can defeat them. Deterrence matters.
Yep - I think this is a really important point - the societal 'compliance' with the Kremlin's seriously warped world-view is a long-term challenge to the West (and aligned states)

Canada could decommission its entire armour corps of eighty-odd Leopards plus approx twenty Leopard 2 based ARV/AEVs and send the lot to Ukraine and not be at any greater risk. I imagine the penny pinchers at the DND are thinking of this right now. I think our days of rolling around the Islamic world to counter or support whatever sand-wrought despot, mullah, etc. is in power are over. Might as well put the tanks to their intended use, deterring and if necessary killing Russians, which is the primary reason we have a postwar Canadian Armed Forces at all.
I thought is was to keep those unruly Quebecois in line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back