"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While not as sexy as MBTs, these are a crucial addition:

While not as sexy as MBTs, these are a crucial addition:

Trying to tick off the Ukrainian Tractor Division?

The RAF has 30 Tranche 1 Typhoons with an OSD of 2025.
Its been suggested that as they have plenty of airframe life left, they could be transferred to Ukraine. US would have no veto as the Typhoon is outside ITAR.
I have mentioned these before as they are not front line and there are no plans to upgrade them. I am very confident that Ukraine would love to have these as they are more modern that the F16.

I notice that the UK are going to start training Ukraine fighter pilots and it is anticipated that simulators will form the lion's share of the training. One of the beauties of this is that the simulators could be set up as Typhoons, or more intriguingly as F16's. This would mean that the turn around in service time for a Ukraine F16 is significantly reduced, as the training will not have to wait for the aircraft. There will have to be an integration at the end but it's a thought.

I can quite believe these numbers. Recently there have been a number of reports that the prisoners who joined the Wagner group one way or another totalled 50,000 but only 10,000 are still in the front line. Most of the others were killed, wounded, deserted or captured.

If you work on the basis that three are wounded for every person killed then 270,000 would equal about 90,000 killed which is quite possible

Last edited:
I have mentioned these before as they are not front line and there are no plans to upgrade them. I am very confident that Ukraine would love to have these as they are more modern that the F16.

I notice that the UK are going to start training Ukraine fighter pilots and it is anticipated that simulators will form the lion's share of the training. One of the beauties of this is that the simulators could be set up as Typhoons, or more intriguingly as F16's. This would mean that the turn around in service time for a Ukraine F16 is significantly reduced, as the training will not have to wait for the aircraft. There will have to be an integration at the end but it's a thought.

They are still excellent fighters with. sound ground pounding capability.
They were the baseline national air defence fighters until replaced by F-35's.
They are being replaced not because they are tired, worn out of obsolete.
Its simply they use a different electronics architecture to the Tranche 2 and 3 and would need a very expensive rebuild to bring them up to the latest spec.
Performance wise? The Tranches are the same, and would eat anything short of an F-22 for breakfast.

They can operate with AIM-120, ASRAAM, Paveway and Brimstone\

And contrary to the nonsense spouted by so many 'experts' on twitter, Yes a Typhoon can operate from austere locations - see its large tyres and high sink rate undercarriage

Russian forces have regained the initiative in Ukraine and have begun their next major offensive in Luhansk Oblast. The pace of Russian operations along the Svatove-Kreminna line in western Luhansk Oblast has increased markedly over the past week, and Russian sources are widely reporting that conventional Russian troops are attacking Ukrainian defensive lines and making marginal advances along the Kharkiv-Luhansk Oblast border, particularly northwest of Svatove near Kupyansk and west of Kreminna.[1] Geolocated combat footage has confirmed Russian gains in the Dvorichne area northwest of Svatove.[2] Russian military command additionally appears to have fully committed elements of several conventional divisions to decisive offensive operations along the Svatove-Kreminna line, as ISW previously reported.[3] Elements of several regiments of the 144th and 3rd Motor Rifle Division (20th Combined Arms Army, Western Military District) and a regiment of the 90th Tank Division (Central Military District), supported by elements of the 76th Airborne Division and unspecified Southern Military District elements, are conducting offensive operations along the entire Svatove-Kreminna line and are reportedly advancing against Ukrainian defenses.[4]

The commitment of significant elements of at least three major Russian divisions to offensive operations in this sector indicates the Russian offensive has begun, even if Ukrainian forces are so far preventing Russian forces from securing significant gains. The Russian offensive likely has not yet reached its full tempo; Russian command has not yet committed elements of the 2nd Motorized Rifle Division (1st Guards Tank Army, Western Military District), which deployed to Luhansk Oblast in January after deploying to Belarus.[5] Russian forces are gradually beginning an offensive, but its success is not inherent or predetermined. While Russian forces in Luhansk Oblast now have the initiative (in that Russian forces are setting the terms of battle, ending the period of Ukrainian initiative from August 2022), the full commitment of these forces could lead to their eventual culmination along the Svatove-Kreminna line without achieving their objectives of capturing all of Luhansk and Donetsk oblasts. That culmination would likely provide a window of opportunity for Ukrainian forces to exploit with their own counteroffensive.[6]

I recall reading that Stalin was shocked at the tiny size of the British army. I wonder if Zelenskyy feels the same, asking how can a country with the 6th largest economy in the world, with over 67 million people, have only 227 operational MBTs and 130 fighter aircraft (Typhoon+Lightning). That's of course a superficial observation of a hugely complex arm forces, but Zelenskyy must have shown some surprise when he learned that the entire British Army has less than 80k active personnel, and that more than twice the size of the RN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back