"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Russians are in a much better manpower position, enjoying a >4:1 advantage over Ukraine pre-war population of ~40million. And since the war began Ukraine has lost somewhere between 7-10 million to outwards migration. If this is a war of attrition, which by all appearances it is, then Ukraine is in a very disadvantageous position.

The problem with Russia's manpower is that they're woefully trained and equipped.

You say the supply and equipment issues are neutral at worst but I see no way for that to be true. Russia has a large domestic arms industry that is producing its munitions, repairing its tanks, ect. Ukraine has a much smaller arms industry that relies on imports of shells, bullets and all matter of war material. They have to send many of their tanks and artillery pieces to Poland for repair. And they are reliant on fuel imports as well.

Uralvagon has greatly reduced its AFV output, and largely given its workforce the task of repairing damaged units.

Furthermore Ukraine is dealing with very serious disruptions to its rail and electrical grid which place further difficulties on supplying the front, by comparison the Russian trains are still running, they have no power issues, ect.

Even with all those trains running, the Russians can't seem to get their logistics in order.

Russia started this war with 2600 operational tanks. They have lost close to half in around twelve months of operations.
Annual tank production including upgrades is only 200 at most which is untenable given the losses.

Another year at this rate and they will be able to field around 300 at most.

Belarus has already handed over 122 T-72A tanks (original weaker version). Russia is also fielding T-62's which are not upgraded
and would not pass evaluation as a modern MBT. Why is this happening given the supposed number of tanks in reserve ?
Basically the reserve tanks have been sitting for years and will be missing a lot of parts, especially those which are worth money.

Upgrades and new vehicles will be difficult as fire control computers, thermal imaging systems and so forth are not produced in
Russia and due to sanctions will not be available.

Compare this mess to the production capability of NATO suppliers. Apply the same for aircraft and you can see why drones are coming
from Iran.

Any advances by Russia take them further away from supply bases while Ukraine receives equipment and supplies round the clock.

And further to the issue of production:

Russia has acknowledged for the first time that it doesn't have enough equipment for mobilized soldiers in its war against Ukraine.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Wednesday that there are issues with equipment for the hundreds of thousands of men being sent to fight in Ukraine under President Vladimir Putin's partial mobilization decree.

Peskov said a newly-formed council created by Putin is working on resolving problems with equipment. "Vigorous measures taken to rectify the situation are already yielding the first positive results," he said.

Regional authorities are working on providing "the missing gear," Peskov said, noting that Deputy Prime Minister Denis Manturov "is personally responsible for this" as part of Putin's new council.

Also, an interesting op-ed from a fellow at Rand can be read here.

Why drive a Peugeot when you can drive a 'Vette?
Right now they're driving a 1970s Moskvič. If no one is offering 'Vettes, take the second hand 1988 Mirage, or Peugeot.

on-car-vehicle-variants-moskvitch-412-union-BXKYM6.jpg

e%252520Advertisement%252520-%252520Car.jpg?crop=0.jpg

Let's remember how well the Israelis in their Mirages cleared the skies of MiGs and Sukhois.

Desertvictory.jpg

Last edited:
What happened to France's proposal to send Mirage fighters to Ukraine? Macron seems to drop these ideas, such as those on the Lecerc MBT and then walk away.

Maybe only the first kick of the ball to send it to the pit.

Shortly after that modern fighters were not off the tablet, like Typhoons tranche 1.

What happened to France's proposal to send Mirage fighters to Ukraine? Macron seems to drop these ideas, such as those on the Lecerc MBT and then walk away.

I don't think the AMX10 light tanks ever made it either

I don't think the AMX10 light tanks ever made it either
I don't believe those were endlessly dangled, but were sent soon after they were proposed. There are three categories it seems of military aid to Ukraine: there's those that are proposed but will not be sent ever or until the war's over, likely the F-16; those that are proposed, denied and then eventually sent, like the Leopard 2 tanks (or perhaps your AMX10s); and third, those that spare the endless chatter and after a short preparatory phase just get sent, such as the thousands of MANPADS and MANPATS sent from Feb 2022 onwards.

Air power seems to be a line NATO is reticent to cross. After eleven months of fighting the only western-designed manned aircraft sent to Ukraine are a trio of retired, and stripped out former FAA Westland Sea Kings. I wonder what will be the next manned aircraft to Ukraine from the west. The Mirage would be good, but I think it's more likely going next be another rotary, maybe old UH-1 Iroquois or Twin Hueys. Ukraine's best chance for additional fighters for now is for their backers to scrape up more MiG-29s from the globe.

Last edited:
Air power seems to be a line NATO is reticent to cross. After eleven months of fighting the only western-designed manned aircraft sent to Ukraine are a trio of retired, and stripped out former FAA Westland Sea Kings. I wonder what will be the next manned aircraft to Ukraine from the west. The Mirage would be good, but I think it's more likely going next be another rotary, maybe old UH-1 Iroquois or Twin Hueys. Ukraine's best chance for additional fighters for now is for their backers to scrape up more MiG-29s from the globe.

I believe Biden will do the "no, until yes" thing with F-16s, just as he did with M-1s -- especially now that UK has signed off on training Ukrainian pilots on Eurokit. Without trying to go political here, our Administration seems unwilling to lead the way, but is content to let others break the ice and then sending our own stuff in.

I believe Biden will do the "no, until yes" thing with F-16s, just as he did with M-1s -- especially now that UK has signed off on training Ukrainian pilots on Eurokit. Without trying to go political here, our Administration seems unwilling to lead the way, but is content to let others break the ice and then sending our own stuff in.
Indeed - might be another one where the UK says "we're providing a token force of Typhoons" and then the floodgates open for others to offer F-16s etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back