"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (8 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ukranian MiG-29s are now JDAM equipped! First it's HARMS, and now this. That's one versatile aircraft. And this JDAM deployment suggests that Ukraine has a good number of strike aircraft remaining, one year into this war - demonstrating yet again Russia's failure to gain air superiority.

I like to think that Ukraine-born Mikhail Gurevich, along with his Armenia-born partner Artem Mikoyan are posthumously looking down on their namesake fighter with pride. Granted their last personal touch was the MiG-25, but their legacy carried onto the -29.

Last edited:

When your target is an entire city, worn barrels aren't too much of a problem.

Good thought. I like the amount of research that S Korea did before starting the design
"Swiss weapons should not be used in wars". I wonder why anyone wants to buy them for?

View: https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1634967489288232961
I bet the share price of Swiss arms manufacturers will plummet even further

I wonder in this time of increasingly inexpensive, accurate long-range tube-launched rocket artillery, if the day of maintenance-hungry rifled artillery is coming to a close.

Modern tube artillery systems have an advantage in terms of cost per (precision) strike and versatility of ammunition. Even with precision 155mm shells priced at anywhere from $25,000 to $110,000, they're usually cheaper than any equivalent rocket/missile system. Excalibur, SADARM/SMArt, Bonus and Vulcano have all been used with notable success against Russian armour in Ukraine.

Ukraine is also getting M1156 precision guidance kits, which turn a bog standard 155m round into a GPS guided round for less than $20,000 per shell.

Plus, some of the modern guided rounds have VERY long range. Bonus and SMArt have already hit targets in Ukraine out beyond 25km (probably longer). Raytheon claims 50km plus for Excalibur. Leonardo is claiming anywhere from 45-70km for the Vulcano family.

Experience in Ukraine shows tube artillery is not going anywhere.

BAE announced in October that it was looking at restarting M777 production, based on the success of the weapon in Ukraine and inquiries from a number of countries. Only problem is that it will take 2-3 years before the line can start putting out production pieces again.

This is reminding me of our Kaserne in Babenhausen in the early '60s. We had two types of artillery units stationed there, a Corporal IIB guided missile and a 105mm tube artillery unit. Naturally, there was a rivalry between these two units. They had, in fact, two distinctly different missions.

The guns could be deployed very quickly and each gun could fire multiple rounds in a very short period of time. Their range was relatively short and their round contained only a moderate explosive charge. A battalion had lots of guns, though!

The Corporal missile was the first guided missile that the US ever deployed in the field so it was primitive by today's standards- liquid fuel, a very complex tube-type guidance system, etc. It took time to get the system set up but it could deliver a conventional HE warhead or a nuclear warhead 80 miles- at least that was the public story . Once we fired our basic load of missiles we were done and all of us became riflemen.

Weapon systems have made great strides since those Cold War days!

"A couple of years from now, Russia may well be number three, maybe even number four" in global military exports

And, someone has to take the second prize.

Last edited:
Good thought. I like the amount of research that S Korea did before starting the design

I bet the share price of Swiss arms manufacturers will plummet even further

How long before China steps into the second place supplier. My guess would be about six to nine months

Users who are viewing this thread