"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (9 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[The only thing that's keeping them from being invaded by everybody is that they have the largest nuclear arsenal on Earth.
Not true, no one, except the most fantasy-minded boffins in Beijing wants to invade Russia. If after the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia had declared they were going full-on pacifist, focused on neutrality and staying out of everyone else's business in Africa and the former Soviet Republics, and instead focusing on becoming a liberal democracy, no one would have invaded them. That's the silly disconnect in the Russian mindset, combined with a Rodney Dangerfield inferiority-complex and need for respect, they feel they need this seemingly powerful military because they expect war, when all their neighbours just wanted to forget the past and trade for Russian oil and resources and spend their tourist dollars in St. Petersburg.

Maybe this war, this disaster for Russia will be a necessary step for Russians to demand better for their country, to demand entry into the liberal democratic world. When this war is over Ukraine will be (over a decade or so) rapidly rebuilt (similarly to post 1945 Germany), and Russians will watch with envy and growing annoyance as their Ukrainian neighbours increasingly take on middle class, economically well-heeled lives, with much reduced corruption and greater rights and freedoms (speech, property, media, etc.), and a regular political transition of power. How long can Russians (and Belarusians) watch this success in post-war Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia, before they demand similar political and economic conditions for themselves? The first step is they must throw out Putin and any autocratic successors.

Last edited:
In regards to Russian Armed forces manpower, they may seem to have a large number of personnel on paper, but also consider Russia's vast territory, which includes a large border shared with less than friendly neighbors, requiring a substantial number of bases - all needing bodies to keep them functional.
Russia also has a large number of personnel stationed outside of Russia proper: Moldova, Georgia, Syria and so on, which also reduces the number available for service in Ukraine.

Here is an interactive map of current Russian bases (or deployed assets) at home and abroad.

I'd keep the small number of Challengers close to one another, if only to maximize efficiencies of logistics and support. Either way I'm anxious to see things underway, while knowing that there are hundreds or thousands of Ukrainian young men who are about to die or suffer grievous wounds while freeing their nation.

The Leopard 2A7 variant with its longer barrel 120mm is going to be a killer. No amount of ERA is going to stop it from cutting through the armour on any Russian tank.
I don't think the longer or shorter 120mm will make much of a difference as I am sure they will all penetrate, almost at will the armour on the Russian tanks.

I don't think the longer or shorter 120mm will make much of a difference as I am sure they will all penetrate, almost at will the armour on the Russian tanks.
I have been wondering about how Canada's earlier, short-barrel Leo2 A4s without the A7's composite armor kit will perform. I'm assuming mechanically that we've handpicked eight of our very best units, but it's still an early 2000s era spec.

2023-03-20_Ukraine-tanks_017.jpg

I have been wondering about how Canada's earlier, short-barrel Leo2 A4s without the A7's composite armor kit will perform. I'm assuming mechanically that we've handpicked eight of our very best units, but it's still an early 2000s era spec.

View attachment 718839
I would be more worried about the reduced armour protection. The Russian 125mm in its different versions is a powerful weapon and if they are able to fire in favourable situations for instance nin woods where the Leo 2 will not have such an advantage in range, might do very well.

Wonder why Zwastika is not prohibited.
It's new. And wholly unexpected to pop up at some Australian cultural event, I suppose. Try that in Canada and you'll get a Ukrainian-Canadian or a likeminded supporter's boot up your backside. Here in Canada, those of Russian descent tread very carefully. I imagine Russians living in the Baltic Reps or Poland keep their mouths tightly shut.

Last edited:
Holiday continues, yet another bang:

Also worth considering the entire Russian armed forces (full timers?) used to be around 3.5 million but dropped over the years
to 900,000. Out of one hundred thousand plus casualties how many professional troops are gone ? From what I have read on this
the 900,000 figure also includes the navy and air force.

Military Balance 2021 has Russian forces estimated at circa 900,000, with the following breakdown:

Army: 280,000
Navy: 150,000
Air: 165,000
Strategic Rocket Force: 50,000
Airborne: 45,000
Special Operations Forces: 1,000
Railway Forces: 29,000
Command and Support: 180,000

Paramilitary: 554,000 (I think this include the various Border Guards units, of which there were about 180,000, but they're nominally under the command of the FSB).

Reserve : 2,000,000 (served in any military arm within the last 5 years and are aged under 50).

Other manpower estimates are a little more generous, at around 1 million or a little higher. Russia had been targeting an established strength of 1.1 million, but as of the end of 2021 it was still falling short of target.

Russian MoD reporting from 2020 was that there were approximately 405,000 to 410,000 'contract' or professional soldiers in service at any one time. This was against a target of about 500,000 to 550,000.

Contract soldiers tend to be concentrated in the Strategic Rocket Forces, Airborne and the Airforce. The Navy and particularly the Army are more reliant on conscript forces. Support and logistics units generally have the heaviest concentration of conscripts.

Against this the Ukrainians now field a million well equipped, led, trained and highly motivated troops. Retired Russian colonel Mikhail Khodarenok said it accurately and well a year ago in May 2022.

"Ukrainian desire to defend their motherland very much exists. Ultimate victory on the battlefield is determined by the high morale of troops who are spilling blood for the ideas they are ready to fight for. The biggest problem with Russia's military and political situation is that we are in total political isolation and the whole world is against us, even if we don't want to admit it. The situation cannot be considered normal when against us, there is a coalition of 42 countries and when our resources, military-political and military-technical, are limited. The situation will clearly get worse as Ukraine receives additional military assistance from the West and that the Ukrainian army can arm a million people."

Against this the Ukrainians now field a million well equipped, led, trained and highly motivated troops. Retired Russian colonel Mikhail Khodarenok said it accurately and well a year ago in May 2022.

"Ukrainian desire to defend their motherland very much exists. Ultimate victory on the battlefield is determined by the high morale of troops who are spilling blood for the ideas they are ready to fight for. The biggest problem with Russia's military and political situation is that we are in total political isolation and the whole world is against us, even if we don't want to admit it. The situation cannot be considered normal when against us, there is a coalition of 42 countries and when our resources, military-political and military-technical, are limited. The situation will clearly get worse as Ukraine receives additional military assistance from the West and that the Ukrainian army can arm a million people."
He always spoke with a lot of sense and its notable that I haven't heard or seen him at all recently. I don't think that is a co-incidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back