"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If this hasn't been covered, I remember hearing that the WHO asked the Ukraine to destroy biological agents they have in stock in some laboratories. Is this indeed correct?

This is from Reuters, and generally seems reliable

This doesn't seem as reliable, but there is a recording from 45 to 1:45 seconds from Victoria Nuland.

Last edited:
There are no BSL-3 or BSL-4 labs in Ukraine. And all the remaining labs are for biological research as in science. There are no biological weapon development labs. It's war propaganda. This is a useful article on the subject: Ukraine's Bio-Lab Security Is Becoming an Issue | National Review

Utter BS - this was put out several months ago and it's been fodder for QAnon and other right wing conspiracy whackos. Like any other sizeable country in Europe, it would not seem unlikely to me that Ukraine would have medical bio-labs. The spin was these labs were "CIA Sponsored." Really? Ask yourself - if I was in the CIA and I wanted to set up an off shore bio lab for military purposes, would I place it in a country that not only borders Russia, but had numerous internal political issues since 2014? The only thing we need to worry about is some young Russian conscript getting into one of these labs and damaging some of the equipment or drinking the blue stuff in the beaker!!

Of course they'd want to destroy any pathogens in stock. That would keep bullets, bombs, and shells from scattering them a wide distance and causing an epidemic. That's especially important in wartime given that 1) in a war, malnutrition is a common side-effect, and 2) the medical sector is both overtaxed directly by casualties, and suffering shortages due to communications disruptions.

The fact that pathogens are being stored in situ is not surprising. It's pretty hard to develop a vaccine if you don't have the pathogen you're combatting on hand.

This is simply the application of another razor -- Occam's Razor, in this case.

The level of ignorance of most Americans about how the US exercises influence overseas really is quite startling (and, as an American, I can say that without bias).

A number of years ago, I helped conduct a training course at the George Marshall Center in Garmisch. When we first entered the base, I explained to my colleagues, who'd never been to Germany before, that this was a former artillery garrison prior to WW2. One of my colleagues then stated "I didn't know the US had forces in Germany before WW2." It took a lot of self control to patiently explain that this was a GERMAN artillery garrison that was built during Nazi military expansion in the 1930s. It seems many Americans believe the US was always a superpower and always had the level of influence that it enjoys today.

There's also a perception that the rest of the world just needs to do what the US says, regardless of whether the US has any skin in the game or even if it's in the best interest(s) of the other nation(s). That kind of thinking also drives the idea that, somehow, America "owns" other nations and can therefore have offshore capabilities like biological weapons facilities. Having worked both sides of the NOFORN divide, I can absolutely guarantee that the US does NOT offshore ANYTHING that it wants to keep as close-hold.

To get back onto the issue of biological labs...EVERY country has them. They do medical research and help develop treatments. The various studies into COVID and the evolution of the various treatments (not just the vaccines...that's just one part of the story) ALL took place in bio labs around the world, and those labs collaborated for the benefit of mankind. Just because a country has a biological lab with some nasty pathogens does NOT mean they have a biological weapons program. Bio weapons are a complex thing to build, maintain, deploy and use...with massive risk of unintended consequences.

Last edited:

Let's try and avoid the political party stuff. Stick to the war in Ukraine. Many of us are getting very close to crossing a line (me included).

I think following this advice would be good for helping this thread stay alive.

Let's try and avoid the political party stuff. Stick to the war in Ukraine. Many of us are getting very close to crossing a line (me included).

Don't get me wrong, I have clear and solid political views, but this thread is much more valuable as a resource than it is for pushing one's own political views. Don't let partisan politics kill it for all of us, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread