Allied Gold-Match II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Smokey said:
I heard that the Bearcat had explosive bolts on it wings so that it could blow of its outer wing panels to increase roll rate in a dogfight. Is this true?
Was it a secret weapon system designed to fling pieces of wing at the opposing aircraft? :D

The outer tip was designed to break away when over stressed. Later this 'option' was discontinued.

"It was also fitted with so called "Safety Wing Tips", the outer 40 inches of which were designed to break off cleanly in case of the wing being overstressed in a dive or other maneuver. After several incidents where one or both wing tips tore off, this feature was eliminated from later production Bearcats."

Smokey said:
I heard that the Bearcat had explosive bolts on it wings so that it could blow of its outer wing panels to increase roll rate in a dogfight. Is this true?
Was it a secret weapon system designed to fling pieces of wing at the opposing aircraft? :D

Not exactly. This system was also on some of the earlier Corsairs, but was removed. I suspect it was on the Bearcat as well.

The idea was that if stress in a dive became too high the outer wing panels could be shed rather than having the wings tear off. It was a stupid idea and I think it was removed on both Bearcat and Corsair service aircraft.

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
Not exactly. This system was also on some of the earlier Corsairs, but was removed. I suspect it was on the Bearcat as well.

The idea was that if stress in a dive became too high the outer wing panels could be shed rather than having the wings tear off. It was a stupid idea and I think it was removed on both Bearcat and Corsair service aircraft.

=S=

Lunatic

This place has an echo. :shock:

That's sort of correct, the Corsair had the outer wing skin fabric rip away, thus easing the strain on the wing. :lol:, :lol:, :lol:, :rolleyes:

KraziKanuK said:
That's sort of correct, the Corsair had the outer wing skin fabric rip away, thus easing the strain on the wing. :lol:, :lol:, :lol:, :rolleyes:

Double check that KK, I think you will find it had break away panels, originally w/o explosive bolts. The problem was that in some hard turning manuvers one panel could break away but the other would not. But it was the whole section, not just the fabric (which only covers the part of the wing rear of the spar).

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
KraziKanuK said:

Double check that KK, I think you will find it had break away panels, originally w/o explosive bolts. The problem was that in some hard turning manuvers one panel could break away but the other would not. But it was the whole section, not just the fabric (which only covers the part of the wing rear of the spar).

=S=

Lunatic
So breakaway a section at the tip was found to be of no use in 1940, yet Grumman put them on the F8F a few years later. Sure whatever you say. :shock: I hope the port tip is not lost since the pilot will have lost his pitot tube.

Such a novel feature would be mentioned, for sure, but never is in any description of the F4U prototype.

KraziKanuK said:
RG_Lunatic said:
KraziKanuK said:

=S=

Lunatic
So breakaway a section at the tip was found to be of no use in 1940, yet Grumman put them on the F8F a few years later. Sure whatever you say. :shock: I hope the port tip is not lost since the pilot will have lost his pitot tube.

Such a novel feature would be mentioned, for sure, but never is in any description of the F4U prototype.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. In any case it was a stupid idea!

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
Perhaps I'm mistaken. In any case it was a stupid idea!

=S=

Lunatic

Yes again, perhaps. ;) Yup, the Americans could come with with some pretty dumb ideas, just as every other country.

the bearcat would take the spit anyday more power more aerodynamic and even though the guns arent as good its still better

The Bearcat did have the advantage of a decade of aerodynamics improvements, and was arguably the best piston engine fighter, but there wasn't enough difference in performance to guarantee anything

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back