American N-2, N-2A, N-3, N-3a, N-3b Gunsights

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very useful manual, looks like "the teacher" took over half way through and did some marking :D

3/10 needs to improve layout :(

Does any one have any photos of the sight in situ in a kittyhawk/P 40.

This one just makes me confused 'cus it doesn't look like a N2/N3

cleopatraP-40closeupgunsight.jpg

Do you think it looks more like this

http://www.warbirdsite.com/P-40gunsight3.jpg

P-40 GUNSIGHT ASSEMBLY - Although there were gunsight variations from country to country, this was the most-common gunsight configuration for the P-40 aircraft, and its part number assembled is, 87-69-964. Each seperate piece has its own "87" part number. Pictured here is the gunsight mounting yoke, 87-69-952, and reflector head assembly, 87-69-961, which are mounted on a Lend-Lease 108B illuminated gunsight body. This 108B gunsight was made in New York City by STAR MACHINE MFRS. INC. for the British-Commonwealth under the U.S. Lend-Lease program. It is the British version of the U.S. Army Air Corps' N-3A gunsight with the single-pin electrode. (The N-3B had the double-pin electrodes). This gunsight assembly is missing the set of rails that mounted from the top-front of the mounting yoke to the front of the reflector casting, where a green sunscreen could travel over these rails to cover the clear reflector glass, and was actuated by a manual lever that mounted to the hole shown in the side of the mounting yoke. D Collier

Hi Dan,

The unusual looking gunsight in the P40N is a standard Air ministry gunsight (same as spitfire). A lot of RAAF aircraft appear to have had them installed. I have one of the mounts - it just bolts on in place of the standard late Curtiss gunsight yoke 87-69-952. I am not sure why this was done other than perhaps because the AM sight was a superior unit to the N3 reflector sight.

Then there is the earlier Curtiss mount as well.....

Regards Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back