An exhumation of 28 US flyers in Slavicin (my born town), Sept 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
Hello,

on Sept 5 and 6, 1944, there was an exhumation of 28 US flyers in Slavicin, Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia back then). All of them where shot down on Aug 29, 1944 during an air battle over White Carpathian mountains. I have 30+ pics taken during the exhumation and knew about video that was also taken but never found it.

Today a friend of mine sent me this link (EXHUMATION OF US AIRMEN IN MORAVIA) - British Pathe

Amazing! What a begining of the new year...

what an amazing find Roman, thanks for posting
Do you recognize the church Karl? The mass grave was at the end of the cemetery back then as the German commander ordered to bury the Americans as 'terrorists', behind the wall. As you saw, the grave is in the middle of the cemetery today...
This video is with no doubts a find of this year and the year almost didn´t begin yet...

This church Roman, or the church in Slavicin itself?

Attachments

• Czech 417.jpg
    Czech 417.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 149
This church Roman, or the church in Slavicin itself?

that's the one i thought it was Terry

No guys, that one in Slavicin. At the cemetery, posted by Terry, were buried only 2 flyboys.
28 guys were buried in Slavicin and the video was taken there.

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 177
  • P1050273.jpg
    P1050273.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 155
  • pic_054.jpg
    pic_054.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 170
Ah, thought it might be the Slavicin church. I only got pics of the memorial stone, not the church itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back