And now Turkey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
I've been watching the military coupe attempt play out today, both through the media and first-hand accounts by way of a family friend that lives in Izmir.

My Fiance, who's in Sofia, has also told me that the Bulgarian military has mobilized, going on high alert and closed it's border with Turkey.

I have a former co-worker that also lives in Izmir. Contacted him on FaceBook and he and his kids are fine, thank goodness.

"... There can be but little doubt that Turkey will be in upheaval for some time, no matter how things shake out in Ankara. There is even less doubt that ISIS and al-Qaeda are putting out an all-points bulletin to jihadis to converge on Turkey to exploit the situation there. This is but the first detonation, following on Nice. More alas is likely to come.

The last 48 hours have blown the hinges off NATO's southern door. The European Union was relying on Turkey to stand between it and the chaos of Syria. Now the wall is threatening to collapse on Frau Merkel. The chaos she sought to keep at bay may have moved one country closer to the heart of Europa, a Europa which the French security failure suggests is defenseless against the fire which it, itself, has started within its borders."

First Nice, Then Turkey

Start teaching you kids Arabic and cover your women from head to toe in left over window curtains. Although, after seeing Hillary and Merkel, that last part might not be such a bad idea.

Are we going to dabble into politics?
While this attempted coup is certainly driven by politics, it also has just opened pandora's box.

Turkey is (was) an important buffer for south-eastern Europe (Europe at large, really) and with this coup attempt, it has shown that there is no longer stability in Erdogan's government - whether he manufactured this or if it really was driven by a cleric in exile.

As it stands, Turkey has suspended access to it's airbases used by U.S. military for the Syria/ISIS bombing campaign and there is word that they may suspend USN access to the Black Sea, too.

So now, there is uncertainty as to where Turkey stands as a NATO member and why are they turning on the U.S.?

There has even been allegations that the CIA was behind it, which is a big surprise there - because as we know, the CIA is responsible for everything that goes wrong in the world: from attempted coups, to terrorist attacks (even in the U.S.), to stubbed toes and bad weather.

While this attempted coup is certainly driven by politics, it also has just opened pandora's box.

Turkey is (was) an important buffer for south-eastern Europe (Europe at large, really) and with this coup attempt, it has shown that there is no longer stability in Erdogan's government - whether he manufactured this or if it really was driven by a cleric in exile.

As it stands, Turkey has suspended access to it's airbases used by U.S. military for the Syria/ISIS bombing campaign and there is word that they may suspend USN access to the Black Sea, too.

So now, there is uncertainty as to where Turkey stands as a NATO member and why are they turning on the U.S.?

There has even been allegations that the CIA was behind it, which is a big surprise there - because as we know, the CIA is responsible for everything that goes wrong in the world: from attempted coups, to terrorist attacks (even in the U.S.), to stubbed toes and bad weather.

We still have a no politics rule on this forum...

That is what I am implying.

We had a nice sunny day today, I would like to thank the CIA for that, and Portugal winning at the Euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back