Another B29 might fly?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the insurance companies would need to give it special coverage for the flight across the Atlantic.

That requires looking at statistics to come up with its rates. And one way to do that is to show simulations of the flight versus various weather and mechanical problem scenarios's.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
if you're wandering if they'll send the B-29 over to england for a few airshows there's no chance........

Its possible though. While its has not been done in LONG time, for the movies "The War Lover" and "Memphis Belle" they flew Forts across to film in the UK. In fact, if I remember correctly in Caidin's book about B-17s I think there is a pic of him flying one for the filming of "The War Lover". I am sure though that is was expensive though, even in the '60s.

:{)

CurzonDax said:
the lancaster kicks ass said:
if you're wandering if they'll send the B-29 over to england for a few airshows there's no chance........

Its possible though. While its has not been done in LONG time, for the movies "The War Lover" and "Memphis Belle" they flew Forts across to film in the UK. In fact, if I remember correctly in Caidin's book about B-17s I think there is a pic of him flying one for the filming of "The War Lover". I am sure though that is was expensive though, even in the '60s.

no one said it wasn't possible, of course it is, it's just the chances of it happening are next to none, there was a plan to fly the Mynarski lanc over for the VE day celebrations, why didn't they? because the Insurance just for the two flights (there and back) would've crippled the RAF, your example was from the 60's, not only were there allot more B-17s around back then but they didn't quite the huge historical status the same planes carry today..........

no one said it wasn't possible, of course it is, it's just the chances of it happening are next to none, there was a plan to fly the Mynarski lanc over for the VE day celebrations, why didn't they? because the Insurance just for the two flights (there and back) would've crippled the RAF, your example was from the 60's, not only were there allot more B-17s around back then but they didn't quite the huge historical status the same planes carry today..........[/quote]

Oh I am sure that even in the '60s the insurance was more than I would make in a lifetime. Actually, as far as the historical significance of the planes, I was watching Turner Classic Movies and in one of thier post movie blurbs about The War Lover, they did talk about how many were out raged that they were flying these historical aircraft across the Atlantic.

But my real question is, I thought they did fly over a Lanc for VE celebrations? I thought I saw a blurb on this on the Communist News Netwerk (CNN). I could have been wrong.

Well I look at it like this, they fly B-17s and B-24s all over the US and back, if someone wanted to pay the money and take the time, they could fly one over to Europe. I would do it, just to fly in one.

yeah but insurance companies have a thing about flying over large bodies of water, you crash on land there's a chance the plane wont be a write off, you crash in the mid atlantic, she aint coming back! and no lanc was flown over for VE day celebrations...........

Yea, tell that to those cheap asses that crashed the B 307...

seatle_planeAP300x410.jpg

I would not risk a historic plane to fly over Atlantic for a show. I think of it just like other historic stuff. I would not risk ancient stuff to travel anywhere for an exhibition especially if the trip includes the Atlantic. They did let Iron Ann to fly the globe though. They must have gone nuts!

It would be stupid to risk the B-29 by flying it over the Atlantic. First of all it would cost a ton of money. Also, the B-29 is such a rare airplane, why take the risk. And, the R-3350s are not the most reliable engines, they like to sh*t on you, where a Pratt Whitney will shrug any problem off and keep running.

By the way, I talked to the guys working on B-29 "DOC", they have made alot of progess but still have a long way to go before she's in the air. They still need to send the engines out for overhaul, $$$.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back