Another B29 might fly?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I saw this on the B29 website.

"KSN News Story: B-29 gets new set of wings

A piece of American history is getting a "wing" lift so to speak. Volunteers and Boeing workers installed a new set of wings Friday on the B-29 bomber named "Doc"."

http://www.ksn.com/news/stories/8616209.html

There a short video clip of the wing being lowered onto the center section of the fuelauge.

That article is from Jul 16, 2005. A little bit old. They installed the wing and main landing gear so they could move it into another hangar.

I have a friend who went to work on DOC back in November. He says there is still a ton of work to do on the plane. They still have some work to do on the spar and they need to build new fuel tanks, have the engines and props overhauled, etc.

Eric

Yes the B-29 has transatlantic range but I very seriously doubt that would happen. BTW Hawg Wild in the museum at Duxford was flown over in 1980. They had to make a few stops though as they were limited in range by oil consumption on one of the engines.

Here is a story from Sallyann's B-29 site. It is written by Gen. Earl Johnson who is a member of the B-29 yahoo group. It describes a flight of 3 B-29s from Guam to Washington DC with only 2 stops. The last stop before flying across the atlantic to Washington was at Rhien Mien airfield in Germany.
http://home.att.net/~sallyann4/rtw1.html

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Why wouldn't they?

well there are two lancs flying in the world, currently twice the number of B-29s in the air, and for one of the best reasons they'll ever get, the 60th anniversary of the end of the second world war, even for that they couldn't fly the canadian lanc over the atlantic, not only did they eventually decide it wasn't worth the risk but the insurance would've half bankrupted the RAF, why would they risk the B-29 just for a few airshows if they didn't risk it for the celebration of the end of WWII??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back