Another B29 might fly?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

On that note, now that the Memphis Belle is in Dayton, from what I understand they want to get it into flying condition. Years ago I tried to put the Belle on the Registry of Historic Places but was denied becuase the government said the plane was not unique enough.

:{)

A6M3 said:
By the way, I talked to the guys working on B-29 "DOC", they have made alot of progess but still have a long way to go before she's in the air. They still need to send the engines out for overhaul, $$$.

Eric

That is what I need to do when I get out of the Army. I need to go and work for these museums and help restore old WW2 aircraft. I would love to do that. Hell I would do it for free, just to help.

For a price the Flying Tigers Resotration Museum in Georgia will teach how to do it for a summer.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
A6M3 said:
By the way, I talked to the guys working on B-29 "DOC", they have made alot of progess but still have a long way to go before she's in the air. They still need to send the engines out for overhaul, $$$.

Eric

That is what I need to do when I get out of the Army. I need to go and work for these museums and help restore old WW2 aircraft. I would love to do that. Hell I would do it for free, just to help.

I could tell you its a blast!

Here's a few I worked on...

F100-54-2091-10-hansen-2.gif

hansen-f86-03-8.gif

fouga-03-8.gif

S2f04-8.gif

UH-1H_NAVY.gif

mpcwalls-c.jpg

Today, I'm only doing work on an L-29

dougjet.jpg.w300h197.jpg

evangilder said:
I have not heard that they were going to restore the Belle to flying condition.

I was mistaken actually. They have reasembled it so it looks like its in flying condition but its in a part of the museum so they can finish it to static condition (she was used and abused in Memphis, she had a laundry list of problems which I can relate later if y'all want to). What the USAF museum did was to increase the number of tours around the plane from one tour a day to I think 3.

Ah ok. I know most of the planes down there are kept in static display status. Could you imagine the expense of keeeping even half of their collection in flyable status?

Its possible. When I was an undergrad I read that Dayton restored an Oscar (which is on loan to Pensacola). It could take off tomorrow but they did things empregnate the engine in chemicals so it would not deterioate and so on.

Oh to be sure its hugely expensive!!!! Still look at the Fantasy of Flight museum in Fla, most of thier aircraft are in flying condition and they do fly them regularly. I hope you did not misunderstand that I said all planes at Dayton were flyable, heavens no! But I am sure some are though. Also who would want to take the risk of flying the Belle or even Bocks Car. Not that they would not be air worthy but what happens if they crash!

Agreed. I know that some of the planes at WPAFB are flyable, but their focus is on preservation of historic aircraft. I was at the end of the runway for the final flight of the XB-70, when it landed at WPAFB for the last time. I was only 3 years old, but I remember it. My dad took me out there in the car and we sat with a bunch of other bird spotters on the side of the road to watch it.

evangilder said:
Agreed. I know that some of the planes at WPAFB are flyable, but their focus is on preservation of historic aircraft. I was at the end of the runway for the final flight of the XB-70, when it landed at WPAFB for the last time. I was only 3 years old, but I remember it. My dad took me out there in the car and we sat with a bunch of other bird spotters on the side of the road to watch it.

Wow that's kick ass. The only "historical" things I have witnessed was the first and last flight of the Concord to Puerto Rico in the '80s, it went over my house. Also when the SAC base at Ramey in PR was finally closed the last few B-52s there also flew over my house.

I have to research but I remember reading somewhere that in Alsaka there are some firms that restore Otters and DC-3s and such to be air ambulances and pond jumpers and so on. I know its not as exotic as restoring a B-29, but its something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back