Another 'Gem' from Greg - just released.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Which problem though? Trolling or difference of opinion? Trolling is easy to spot and should be moderated. The well structured discussion of facts and answering questions are good things, completely different to trolling.

Eng
Eng if planesandships is a troll he isnt a very good one. There were here before that were much better at it. Beside that i like to read the fact filled replies of the members.
So no worries. If he steps over bounderies or just get plain boring i have no doubt he will get sent to troll jail.

I don't agree. I propose that Trolling is bad for the Forum and should be, at the very least, recognised and controlled where needed, you don't seem to support that. As for now implying twice that I advocate a "triggerhappy" censorship of postings.. where did that come from?
In case of confusion, I am suggesting that moderation of trolling should be the job of "Moderators".

Eng

What? Really? You want debate, but only debate that agrees with your view point? Like watching your news channel of choice thats only telling you what you want to hear?

At no point were forum rules broken that warrant a banning.

The point of a discussion forum is the active exchange and discussion of view points. Both in agreement and disagreement, as long as it remains civil.

Would you like to do better? I'll stand down and hand my job over to you, since we are doing such a terrible job here…

You are advocating just that. That we remove him because of his "trolling."

His posts are spurning interesting discussion and replies.

If his posts start breaking forum rules, he will be dealt with. I'm sorry that it does not make your stamp of approval.

So, some sort of bandwagon rolling here about "Banning". Who mentioned that? Who mentioned not allowing differences of opinion?

Eng

So, some sort of bandwagon rolling here about "Banning". Who mentioned that? Who mentioned not allowing differences of opinion?

Eng

You did. You are telling us to moderate him. How do you propose we go about moderating someone's different opinion/views that are contrary to yours, when they have not broken any of the forum rules as of yet?

Banning or censoring is literally the only options.

I'm sorry that we disappoint you so much.

There are literally four things that will get a post deleted or a poster banned per the forum rules…

1. Rude, uncivil posts including those with blatant insults
  2. Politics (and you know what kind)
  3. Offtopic trolling that has zilch to do with the discussion, especially when it includes number one above.
  4. Spamming

Consistency is the key here. There are other threads with bomber mafia and P47 drop tanks / range problems / memos
re drop tanks. The replies have always been consistent with actual information presented.

What a poster who contends or believes someone else's conspiracy theories or whatever makes of the replies is up to
them.

As the saying goes, facts don't care about our feelings. I see facts presented in each case and if someone puts their
feelings in front of that there is nothing members or moderators can do about that.

Moderation of trolling type posts does not have to mean banning anyone straight-off, that would be the unusual extreme action for outright abuse of anyone or the Forum rules.
Trolling usually starts with far less extreme and even gentle posts that develop. It is possible to recognise the development and give on-thread comment and/or PM as appropriate.
Depending on the posts, it may well be appropriate to edit parts of posts and notify the poster as required whilst leaving the majority of the post. This work is obviously labour intensive but, it is only required where bad intention is recognised, and it can stop unpleasant or low standard posting. Certainly, on another forum, this method of moderation produces a high standard of postings and unpleasant confrontations are rapidly resolved, often with continuation of a satisfactory exchange on the thread.
So, my point is that moderation should start as soon as the unpleasant aspects of possible trolling are seen, with notice to the appropriate poster. In my experience, early correction has positive results.

Eng

Sorry, I disagree. Just because you disagree with his views or posts does not mean he is actively trolling. When and if, we feel it becomes that, we will take the appropriate action.

I'm sorry that we disappoint you so much.

Again, I emphasise that it is not the moderation of someones opinions, thoughts or convictions that need moderating as such, it is the way that they reply or respond to other well-behaved forum members that is the crux. When a member has presented a detailed fact-based and reasonable response to a thread, they should receive a similar response. I can see how some posters, especially the knowledgeable members, can have their good posts ignored or misrepresented by aggressive posters. TBH, I feel that some are not strongly supported here, and the proof is that I see little evidence of moderation, despite the work that the mods do.

Eng

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread