Another Spitfire question: Spitfire IIa P7966

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Chief Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,
Probably a stupid question but regarding D. Bader Spitfire Mk.IIa P7966 "Manxman", Rotol or De Havilland propeller/spinner ???

TIA, regards
Steph

Here a shot of the kite.. not too much of these parts can be seen here but it seems it was De Havilland propeller and spinner.

Spitfire-MkI-Tangmere-Wing-DB-Douglas-Bader-Tangmere-1941-01.jpg

Last edited:
I forget something :rolleyes: Regarding the oil cooler, is it a Mk.I type or a Mk.V type (with deepened oil cooler with circular air intake) ?
I think to have read that some Mk.II wore the deepened oil cooler...:?:

Steph

Mk.I and Mk.II weren't told apart at first glance. The only difference that can be noticed is a small drop-bulge at the side of the starboard engine cowling , just behind the spinner. It covered a part of Coffman's starter for the Merlin XII engine.

The "Mk.III oil cooler" was introduced onto the Mk.II production line from 26-9-41, which was over a month after Bader was shot down, and 7 months after P7966 was built, so stick with the Mk.I type.
Bader built it himself

Last edited:
Good stuff Edgar, beat me to it! The Airfix 'box art' for Bader's Spit lends confusion, as it shows the MkV type oil cooler I believe.

I think it is because Bader used the Mk.VA later as well. Its serial is believed to be W3185.

spitfire.jpg

attachment.jpg

file.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

and the Mk.IIA profile... of course the spinner colour is incorrect.

spitfiremk1.01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back