Any F1 fans?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was too young. My brother had a Scalextric set with a Jim Clark Lotus in it, but by the time I can remember playing with it he was already dead. His death changed F1. Everyone knew Jim Clark didnt make mistakes, so when he died in a crash it must have been the car and the circuit that was to blame, for the crash and for him not surviving. It want actually an F1 race that took his life, but it was the whole mentality of motorsport that was to blame.

I was too young. My brother had a Scalextric set with a Jim Clark Lotus in it, but by the time I can remember playing with it he was already dead. His death changed F1. Everyone knew Jim Clark didnt make mistakes, so when he died in a crash it must have been the car and the circuit that was to blame, for the crash and for him not surviving. It want actually an F1 race that took his life, but it was the whole mentality of motorsport that was to blame.
Wasn't it aan F2 race at Hockenheim that claimed his life?

Wasn't it aan F2 race at Hockenheim that claimed his life?
Yes, as I said it wasnt actually an F1 race but it was the whole mentality of the era, which took a long time to filter down to club level. This is a pic of my local circuit (Croft) that chicane was still made of railway sleepers and wood when I raced. When the circuit first opened it was made of house bricks!!!!! Another circuit I raced at (Silloth) had a hairpin bend marked with an oil drum. Before racing I walked around the circuit, looked at the oil drum and it was filled with CONCRETE. The rest of the circuit was equally dangerous, high tensile wire fences in the run off areas and an old airfield of concrete slabs that were settling onto the earth making my bike go airborne halfway around the fastest curve. I raced and won three races but never went back. Shortly after I was there, Garry Hislop brother of Steve a top class racer who did the same meetings as me died in a crash there, the investigation closed the place.
_nc_ohc=jQ6Mqzmu23wAX9CQszx&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

Yes, as I said it wasnt actually an F1 race but it was the whole mentality of the era, which took a long time to filter down to club level. This is a pic of my local circuit (Croft) that chicane was still made of railway sleepers and wood when I raced. When the circuit first opened it was made of house bricks!!!!! Another circuit I raced at (Silloth) had a hairpin bend marked with an oil drum. Before racing I walked around the circuit, looked at the oil drum and it was filled with CONCRETE. The rest of the circuit was equally dangerous, high tensile wire fences in the run off areas and an old airfield of concrete slabs that were settling onto the earth making my bike go airborne halfway around the fastest curve. I raced and won three races but never went back. Shortly after I was there, Garry Hislop brother of Steve a top class racer who did the same meetings as me died in a crash there, the investigation closed the place.
View attachment 725640
Are you on a Norton 650SS?
And railroad ties!?! Yikes!
What year is that picture from?

It is the profile picture from a discussion forum on Croft. I will ask for a date and description of machine. It isnt me it is a famous local rider Ken Redfern. The same picture and a history of Ken is in the article below. In my local bar there were a lot of guys who knew Ken, one was on the back of his bike when he died, on the sweeping bends outside Yarm near Kirklevington that rochie rochie may know. Others owned "Ken Redfern" Nortons. Last time I went to spectate at Croft about 15 yrs ago one was raced against modern Ducatis and other Japanese and Italian 1000cc "4"s it finished third. Those "sleepers" as we call them were still there when I raced inn 1981 the circuit was thenn closed for a few years annd re opened with a new layout. Ken Redfern: The gentleman racer whose life was cut tragically short

This is me

1686889920692.jpeg

It is the profile picture from a discussion forum on Croft. I will ask for a date and description of machine. It isnt me it is a famous local rider Ken Redfern. The same picture and a history of Ken is in the article below. In my local bar there were a lot of guys who knew Ken, one was on the back of his bike when he died, on the sweeping bends outside Yarm near Kirklevington that rochie rochie may know. Others owned "Ken Redfern" Nortons. Last time I went to spectate at Croft about 15 yrs ago one was raced against modern Ducatis and other Japanese and Italian 1000cc "4"s it finished third. Those "sleepers" as we call them were still there when I raced inn 1981 the circuit was thenn closed for a few years annd re opened with a new layout. Ken Redfern: The gentleman racer whose life was cut tragically short

This is me

View attachment 725674
that is a great picture !
and yes i do know of that sweeping bend you mention, though don't go that way very often.

This is me

View attachment 725674
A wee bit of wear on the left knee.

A wee bit of wear on the left knee.
Caused in my first crash coincidentally coming out of the chicane at Croft, in the picture before. I did OK at my first meeting which was at Croft. For the next meting I figured with a bit more effort I could get in the top three. So I came out of that chicane like ten men, I was still on road not racing tyres. At that moment I learned why you dont race on road tyres and you always go a little easier on the first lap, especially the left handers cos most corners are right. The bike spun round, went to the deck and slid UP the track not off it, with me behind . There were around 30 riders behind me, some passed far to close to my head for comfort. When not actually crashing my knees never touched the track.

Last edited:

This is me

View attachment 725674
Good form too!
Was that the firebreathing Yami RZ350?

Good form too!
Was that the firebreathing Yami RZ350?
I think that depends on where you live!. To me it was an RD250LC (Race Developed 250 Liquid Cooled) but it was marketed under various names around the world. It was basically the same as the RD350LC which had same stroke and a bigger bore, the 350 had twin disc brakes at the front. With all the tuning "bitz" the 250 was good for 120MPH with tall gearing, within the rules allowed standard exhausts and carbs.

Same with the Norton. In UK there never was a 750SS. The Norton 88 (500SS) grew to the 99 (650SS). I had a friend who had a Norton 650SS Dominator in the 1970s and he was an "officionado". The 750 version was known as a Norton Atlas (in UK). Later came the 750 Commando based bikes. In racing most racing Nortons at the end of the 60s early 70s were engines made by people like Paul Dunstall in aftermarket frames like Seely. Ken Redfern used all sorts, eventually having frames made to his own design. I found this video, I knew the maker back in the day, he ran an insurance shop so he sold me my bike insurance (no kidding). H is the guy I saw racing at Croft and owns an ex Redfern Norton (or he did 11 yrs ago when it was made).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMkSzl44-HE

As previously, I requested the details of the pic.ture on a discussion forum, and got this reply from Mike Redfern, Ken's brother the Race of the Year was at Mallory park.

Date 1969, 750 Norton Atlas Motor prepared by Derek Redfern , Manx Norton frame bought from John Hartle, Manx Conical front brake bought from Ken Inwood, Manx close box and Lyra Tank. This is the bike Ken finished second twice to Ago. on at the Cadwell International and the Race of the Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back