Any F1 fans?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The GOAT?

HillGraham1969Aug.jpg


Graham Hill (pictured in 1969) is the only driver to have completed the Triple Crown....

The Triple Crown of Motorsport is an unofficial motorsport achievement, often regarded as winning three of the most prestigious motor races in the world in one's career: the Indianapolis 500 (first held in 1911), the 24 Hours of Le Mans (first held in 1923), and the Monaco Grand Prix (first held in 1929).
 
The GOAT?

View attachment 737685

Graham Hill (pictured in 1969) is the only driver to have completed the Triple Crown....

The Triple Crown of Motorsport is an unofficial motorsport achievement, often regarded as winning three of the most prestigious motor races in the world in one's career: the Indianapolis 500 (first held in 1911), the 24 Hours of Le Mans (first held in 1923), and the Monaco Grand Prix (first held in 1929).
From a different era in sport. Graham Hill and Jacki Stewart interview - Bing video
 
I think that depends on where you live!. To me it was an RD250LC (Race Developed 250 Liquid Cooled) but it was marketed under various names around the world. It was basically the same as the RD350LC which had same stroke and a bigger bore, the 350 had twin disc brakes at the front. With all the tuning "bitz" the 250 was good for 120MPH with tall gearing, within the rules allowed standard exhausts and carbs.

Same with the Norton. In UK there never was a 750SS. The Norton 88 (500SS) grew to the 99 (650SS). I had a friend who had a Norton 650SS Dominator in the 1970s and he was an "officionado". The 750 version was known as a Norton Atlas (in UK). Later came the 750 Commando based bikes. In racing most racing Nortons at the end of the 60s early 70s were engines made by people like Paul Dunstall in aftermarket frames like Seely. Ken Redfern used all sorts, eventually having frames made to his own design. I found this video, I knew the maker back in the day, he ran an insurance shop so he sold me my bike insurance (no kidding). H is the guy I saw racing at Croft and owns an ex Redfern Norton (or he did 11 yrs ago when it was made).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMkSzl44-HE

I have a healthy respect for Nortons.

Years ago, I was carving Turnbull Canyon (Southern California) on my Katana 1100 and I saw motion in my mirrors.
Shortly afterward, I could heard the bass rumble of an engine working almost in unison with my 1100 beast and there it was, a Norton Commando overtaking me on those twisting and winding curves.

Got a nod from the rider as he passed, too.
 
When I was still living in Sweden and worked for FFV/SAAB, a colleague of mine had two Norton Commando's, a black and a yellow one, don't remember if both were Roadsters, Fastbacks or one of each, he was a British and Norton bike fan though....
You could hear him coming long before that you actually saw him...

lv0114-180177_2.jpg


13794.jpg
 
When I was still living in Sweden and worked for FFV/SAAB, a colleague of mine had two Norton Commando's, a black and a yellow one, don't remember if both were Roadsters, Fastbacks or one of each, he was a British and Norton bike fan though....
You could hear him coming long before that you actually saw him...

View attachment 737757

View attachment 737758
I always thought the Fastback looked the best. I saw one done in polished aluminum at Mid-Ohio Vintage days. When the sun shone, it almost hurt to look at.
 
Ummm, I think the assertion is based on Clay, passing the JP Special on the outside of a slightly on camber turn with spectators a stone's throw from the Armco.
 
The GOAT?

Graham Hill (pictured in 1969) is the only driver to have completed the Triple Crown....

The Triple Crown of Motorsport is an unofficial motorsport achievement, often regarded as winning three of the most prestigious motor races in the world in one's career: the Indianapolis 500 (first held in 1911), the 24 Hours of Le Mans (first held in 1923), and the Monaco Grand Prix (first held in 1929).

Nowhere near a Fangio, a Moss or a Nuvolari. Casting the net wider, I'd include Loeb, Elford, Redman, Kristensen and a number of others, many of whom never even drove an F1 car.
 
485058005_1069663171865924_3945903148653425602_n.jpg


495624344_9787949521283973_5971849674539711283_n.jpg

Once Colin Chapman watched Peterson from Les Signes at Le Castellet, taking the long curve flat out on opposite lock. When asked why he was driving like that, Ronnie replied: "Oh that, it's to fight the understeer on that car !"

Definitely not the fatest way to take corner....😳😲😆😂
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back