any good for weathering

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi guys
got these in the post today for the pricely sum of £5.00 including p&p
pastels.jpg

As long as they are chalk pastels they will work OK, could do with a few darker shades in the range but they will give you a start and you will be able to mix them to get plenty of variation in tone.

I can see using only the 2 left-most and 2 right-most for weathering, These are great for final weathering after all coats are applied but I don`t see much use for the bright colours. Can`t beat the price though. Good chalk pastels at art stores are outrageously expensive IMHO.

I can see using only the 2 left-most and 2 right-most for weathering, These are great for final weathering after all coats are applied but I don`t see much use for the bright colours. Can`t beat the price though. Good chalk pastels at art stores are outrageously expensive IMHO.

I don't normally use chalks but take a look at the two sets below.

Those are Sargent Art Square chalk pastels (Earthtone and Graytone respectively). Each set is 4.99$ at Dick Blick Art Materials.

Attachments

• 21930-2012-2-3ww-l.jpg
    21930-2012-2-3ww-l.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 21930-4012-1-3ww-l.jpg
    21930-4012-1-3ww-l.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 245
Great deal Dwight. The few pastels I bought at Michaels cost way more than that and they came in pairs or fours for the colours I wanted. I bought them anyway since they will last me quite a long time.

Usage like using of colored pencils and also can be applied with a soft brush. These are for making all kinds of stains/distains of camo colours. Of course these chalk pastels are used on already painted model.

Last edited:
Probably Chris. Most commercially produced modelling washes, weathering powders etc etc are just re-packaged, commonly available art products. Same thing with such things as 'clear parts' cement, decal papers and so on - all are around in their everyday form, normally at much lower prices too.

Oops forgot I had piped up in this thread. I have the Tamiya set that would look at home in a lady's cosmetic make up box. With handy complete lady style applicator. Now there's an idea!

Will check out the pastels in future although the flory models weathering sets look appealing and are clay based iirc.

Cheers Chris

'Partners' or 'Ryman's' as they are now - full set of chalk pastels for about £2. Sanding sticks of various grades, foam backed or wood, foam applicators etc etc - Boots or Tesco cosmetic department at 1/10th of the price of modelling outlets.
It's a similar thing with some photo accessories - a black-anodized alloy plate, with two holes tapped for threads; £34 from a photo shop, £3 from my local engineering works, made to order !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back