Anybody ever watch "the wind risess",any good?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's Studio Ghibli! Of course it is good!
But then I would say that with a Porco Rosso avatar! lol

Just don't expect a documentary style, historically accurate film.
There is a love interest, dream sequences and a strange dichotomy between Hayao Miyazaki, someone who is a pacifist with a love of aviation and the fact that the hero of the story designed war machines that were part of an imperialistic, and brutal regime.

Despite that it makes for a delightful family film with the beautiful animation one expects from Ghibli.

I know I'm probably too late for this, but trust me when I say it's worth buying.

While it doesn't so much focus on combat and war, it instead directs its focus towards a touching romance story and the interesting story of Jiro Horikoshi, the creator of the Zero fighter and the A5M.

It's a spectacular movie, to say the least. Studio Ghibli's animation is amazing (As per usual), the sound effects and music are on-par, and the story is so interesting and marvelous, it's almost impossible to say you won't be interested.

If I might suggest another historically-styled anime, you should check out Royal Space Force; it's a movie set in what is presumably a 1960's-ish world, centered around a character in the Royal Space Force, the laughing stock of the aviation branch of the nation's military (Mainly because people don't believe they'll go to space). Throughout the movie, the main character trains more and more to become an astronaut while tensions between his nation and the neighboring region grow denser and denser, eventually resulting in an ending battle so absolutely awe-inspiring you will be thinking about it for at least a couple of weeks.

There are a couple of "off-scenes" which feel very out of place, but just watch it all the way through, the ending is worth sticking around for.

So check out both movies, great watches.

I purchased the DVD a little while ago. It is very well done but the story line suffers from excessive use of "artistic license". Director Miyazaki embellished (distorted) Horikoshi's life story presumably to broaden the marketability of the film. I think it is entirely unnecessary. For the most part, the story line is fairly true to the facts, so it seems to me that adding wholly fictional melodramatic elements just detracts from the quality of project. That said, I still recommend viewing it for an interesting take from a point of view that is completely original. I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

To be fair the point of the movie is entertainment. There seems little point in making an animated film to produce a biographical movie.
The documentary format is better suited.

The director is known to have an interest in the idea of flying which maybe more poetic than factual.
But this is Studio Ghibli and so poesy and fantastical elements are to be expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back