Anybody know what this is?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daleyboy

Recruit
Jul 6, 2012
Dolan Springs,AZ
This is supposed to be a WWII military ammo magazine or ammo can for a plane. I dont have a clue. I thought it might be some kind of shell catcher box for a machine gun.At the bottom you can just make out the words (START HERE 300 RDS)
the hounds 006.jpg
Any info would be great

Daleyboy, it is a ammo box. Not sure of the craft that used this particular one though. Here is a link to a photo to a page here on the sited with some shots of a B-17G with two very similar ones mounted up in the nose position.http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/brooks-photos-16469-98.html
Hope this helps out somewhat. I know it's not specific but if there are any numbers on it it may give us a clew.

i looked it over really good, and found some numbers stamped on the side. they were, ASSEM 174751-j

From the cutaways I have, it does not look like it's from a P-39 or from a P-38 as it appears they both have handles on the bottom, not in the middle. I think they also carried more then 300 rounds per gun.

there is holes in the can at the bottom where the handle might have been at one time. I don't know if the handle is in the original position. You can see them in the picture

Absolutely not P-39 (and as a previous owner of a P-39 I can be absolutely positive on that both from shape and part number)
I go with P38 but cannot prove it yet - will see what I can find over next few days. Assy number smells Lockheed and is definitely not Bell or North American

Users who are viewing this thread

Back