Anyone actually talk to a WW2 fighter pilot?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was once told by a WWII fighter pilot that "Son, there's flying fighters, then there's fighting fighters". I took that to mean that although even a rube like me could indeed fly a Mustang, doing the right things when the excrement impacts the fan is a whole new chapter to the story.

I really do not know how to express this well enough but will give it a go. Every boy who climbed into the cockpit and flew off to face the enemy did so with distinction and a sense of duty. But each pilot had to define their role...the parameters so to say as to that duty. I knew guys who spotted a couple 109s coming towards the bombers...turned into them and when the 109s veered off they broke off. Their priority was providing protection. Another pilot would seem the 109s but wouldn't break off. They would do their level best to catch up and shoot then down. For them destroying the enemy was tops. And you have various degrees in between. They all did their job....but did it differently.

Once saw Gabby Gabreski at a local airshow but couldn't work up the courage to go talk to him. Just kept thinking I would come off as a dolt. Seriously, what would I say to a legend like that? ...regret not doing it to this day.

Gabby was a confident but humble guy. When my father graduated in 1955 from Air War College at Maxwell with Gabreski, Gabby, Mimi and family (six kids pretty well spaced out by 18 mo) lived next door - we saw them a lot. Gabby actually liked the P-51H (and D) very much but his love was truly for the Jug. Surprisingly, in the few times that WWII experiences were a subject most of the discussions were regarding leaders - good and bad, rather than best fighter. .

about 20 years ago I was waiting to play a Darts match at my local (now gone) RAFA club when I got into conversation with an old boy. He had joined the RAF in 1938 and flew Gladiators, Hurricanes, Kittyhawks, Typhoons, Tempests and was training to fly jets when the peace was signed in 45. We chatted for a while and got round to victories had he shot down any enemies. He said "No I was one of the Spear Carriers everything happened to fast for me" As a veteran who must have flown hundreds of sorties he obviously had the skills to survive but wasnt one of the 5%. Unfortunately just as it was getting really interesting I was called forward for my match which was a real drawn out 5 leg tussle and when I returned to the table he had finished his pint and gone home and I never got the chance to chat with him again.

I talked with Joe Foss for an hour or so on a flight to Washington DC back in 1970. I was in uniform, and in awe of a hero. We sat next to each other, along with his wife. He was generous with his conversation. We talked aircraft and tactics and hunting, among other things. I'll never forget how gracious he was to a kid getting ready. To go to war.

Bringing this one back to the top for a cup of coffee.

I live near Auburn California where Bud Anderson (P-51 Old Crow) resides. There is a nice display at the local airfield and adjoining restaurant that memorializes his time in the service. I bring this up now as in a local parade, a youngster was riding around in a little motorized mini Old Crow replica (made into a little buggy of sorts).

Anyway, I hold out hope that perhaps I will run into him at some point and be able to ask a question or two. I understand he is quite approachable. It would be amazing if he and Chuck Yeager (who also lives close and whom I have met before) were to be there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back